Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

it works
    lenovo y530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by morphgt View Post
    it works
    lenovo y530
    What works?
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans

Hey guys, just bought a Y510-KA and found this thread. Great info al around.

I didn't read all the way through yet, so I'm sorry if this info already came up... But here's something new, hopefully...

Regarding brightness:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/301524
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=470465

Here's a patch (haven't tried yet):
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=323670

Regarding flipped UVC camera:

1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=838210 + 4 different patches

2. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=561433&page=2 (someone suggests trying "echo 1 >/sys/class/video4linux/video0/vflip", can'ttry it right now, posting from a different machine)

Hope this helps someone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool off your Y510

Some of you may have a problem with a hot machine that's always ramping up the fan. Here's something I recently came across that will drop the running temp of your machine by possibly 10 degrees Celsius.

You need to add the following modules into /etc/modules. You can do this at the command line or in your favorite text editor, but be sure to do it as root. Add the following to the bottom of the list of modules that are already there (see the proviso at the bottom of the post):
    battery
    ac
    thermal
    processor
    acpi-cpufeq
    cpufreq-userspace
    p4_clockmod
    The next time you start your machine, these modules will be loaded at boot, and they go a looooong way to controlling the possible thrashing your machine may undergo.

I was consistently at around 61 degrees and the fan was almost always on. I was looking into undervolting the machine, but that never worked. When I added these modules, even with 31 tabs open in Firefox (I'm researching/writing), I'm resting comfortably at around 47 degrees Celsius, and even when it jumps up after some heavy multimedia use, it drops fairly quickly.

For those who want a little more fine-tuned control over their CPU, you can add the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor and a few other things to help you monitor your specs via applets (little apps that run in a panel).
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hddtem lm-sensors sensors-applet computertemp
    This installs the necessary applets to start checking things out.

• Computer Temperature Monitor: Gives you the temp of the CPU and disks
    • Sensors Applet: Like the above, but a little more detailed (it gives me my GPU temp on my desktop machine)
    • CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor: Allows you to change the frequency of your CPU's. I've added that twice and monitor both cores at once, just for tests.

However, you need to do one more step to enable the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor's full range power:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-applets
    This will bring up an ncurses dialog asking if you want to install the frequency monitor with the SUID set. Choose OK, and when it asks "Install cpufreq-selector with SUID root?" choose "Yes." (You'll need logout and log back in to get it running with the options.)

Now, if you want to change the frequency of the CPU to make it run at a higher or lower frequency (depending on what kind of power you want/need), you can change that through the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor applet to the panel. You can either choose governors or a set frequency. Ondemand seems like a good choice -- it increases and lowers the frequency as needed. Performance is obvious, Powersave is obvious, and I'm not quite clear on the difference between Ondemand and Conservative; I think Conservative does about the same thing, but slower.

PROVISO
    I'm not completely clear on the p4_clockmod module. I searched for quite a while and came up black with good info. Lots of people recommend it, but I don't know if it is necessary or conflicts with anything or even loads if it isn't necessary. It does something other than managing the frequency; as I understand it, it manages the rate that frequency changes, no the frequency itself. If someone else knows, please post.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GoogleGuy View Post
    Hey guys, just bought a Y510-KA and found this thread. Great info al around.

I didn't read all the way through yet, so I'm sorry if this info already came up... But here's something new, hopefully...

Regarding brightness:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/301524
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=470465

Here's a patch (haven't tried yet):
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=323670

Regarding flipped UVC camera:

1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=838210 + 4 different patches

2. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=561433&page=2 (someone suggests trying "echo 1 >/sys/class/video4linux/video0/vflip", can'ttry it right now, posting from a different machine)

Hope this helps someone.
    Heya,

I think the brightness issue has been fixed -- it's not an issue for me, anyway. As for the camera, mine works via two steps:

• Add uvcvideo to /etc/modules (need to edit the /etc/modules file as root)
    • In Cheese under Effects, just choose the flip effect.

Beans

Hi Wyth,

you're right, brightness has been fixed in 2.6.28+ kernels.

Camera is still flipped, yeah you can flip it back in Cheese, but what about Skype?

Also, does any of you guys got the Infra Red controller to work? If so, which module do I need?

Thanks.

Beans

I am using Jaunty Jacalope Alpha version and Yes the brightness issue is fixed.

2.6.28-8

techspalace.blogspot.com
    Last edited by talktorishav; February 21st, 2009 at 06:20 PM.

Beans

Hi
    I have a Linux Gentoo 2.6.27 in a Lenovo Ideapad Y530.

Some issues that i have after reading this topic.

1. ALSA seems resolved for next Kernel. or 2.6.29.

2. Orange keys work and don't work. In Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD they work without glitches.

Most of the time that keys don't work. Sometimes work after tap them a lot of times. They work 'perfectly' after a few minutes without using laptop (...)

I see sometimes this in dmesg (random appearance) when i try to use them... not always the same output...
    Code:
    CE: hpet increasing min_delta_ns to 15000 nsec
    CE: hpet increasing min_delta_ns to 22500 nsec
    CE: hpet increasing min_delta_ns to 33750 nsec
    CE: hpet increasing min_delta_ns to 50624 nsec
    This PLAY orange keys produce the same code as the FN+(F9..F12) keys (this works). And they respond when i use the '#showkey' command. But in 'xev' not really or sometimes. Anyway I have them mapped in .Xmodmap and later configured in Xfce4 shortcuts to control 'exaile'. Anyway why they work well in Ubuntu? What kernel config needs?

3. I can not play AUDIO CD. I use dcd for this, and also cdplay. And they don't work in this laptop. I can read/record cdr. I can extract audio CD tracks using cdparanoia. Some one has this problem. It gives a lot IO errors from kernel. It works in *******

lshw:
    Code:
    *-cdrom
                    description: DVD-RAM writer
                    product: DVD RW AD-7560S
                    vendor: Optiarc
                    physical id: 1
                    bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
                    logical name: /dev/cdrom
                    logical name: /dev/cdrw
                    logical name: /dev/dvd
                    logical name: /dev/dvdrw
                    logical name: /dev/scd0
                    logical name: /dev/sr0
                    version: S801
                    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
                    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
    4. I have problem with brightness. This keys have the same problem as the orange soft keys. But they always work, Fn+up give always second lowest bright and Fn+down gives always the lowest bright. Solution? Kernel 2.6.29-rc5 does not solve the problem.

Regards
    Rui
    Last edited by ruivilela; February 24th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I also have Y530 and currently don't know hot to makw its mirophones work properly though sound in general works ok... any suggesions?
    Thanks.

Beans

I usually open alsamixer in a shell. Depends which model you configured anyway.

alsamixer in shell/terminal (in Gnome maybe you also have similar mixer)

Make sure that in playback mode, your mic and front mic are mutted (press M to change state to Mute 'MM').

press tab to go to capture mode. If you want to test your integrated micro:

Change input source to "front mic" (up key)
    Capture only from input source (space and raise volume)
    If you want raise volume of front mic boost.

Try your favorite recorder.

Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast