Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    I have also tried purging PulseAudio, as per Wyth's instructions, which didn't help at all. Yesterday i found generic instructions to configure PulseAudio here, which also explains why it is a good idea to have PulseAudio - for example, Wyth, if you've still got it purged, can you play sound from two different applications at the same time?
    I still have it purges, and I only have ALSA compiled for the 2.6.27-7-generic kernel (it's the most stable for me). I can report that I can indeed hear two apps at once. I just streamed music via Banshee and opened a movie in Totem, and it sounded like I was in a train station.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Slight update: kernels, proposed, backports

Okay, so I had a bit of a breakthrough today.

The Problem
    For some time now, I've been getting some random lock-ups; kernel panic with a hard freeze I could only end with a hard reset. This had something to do with the wireless card, iwl3945 -- it really didn't like one of the networks at my university, and whenever I got on that network, it crushed my system.

I read in a number of places that in order to fix this, one needed to install linux-backports-modules-intrepid. Okay, why not. That introduced the other problem; the hard freezes may have stopped, but it broke wireless. No networks could be seen, and the module couldn't be modprobed. Of course it fixed the problem -- how can the wireless card bring down the system if it's broke? Removing the backports fixed the wireless, but left the freeze problem.

The Fix
    After some more research, I found some references to "proposed" as a possible culprit, although I couldn't find enough to tell me what they meant. So I experimented. I commented out the proposed repositories in my sources.list and did all the updates and autocleans.

The first thing I noticed was that the 2.6.27-10-generic kernel was no longer available, but the 2.6.27-9-generic was (before it seemed to skip 2.6.27-9-generic). I added the 2.6.27-9-generic kernel, made sure I had the backports installed, the headers, restricted modules, all that stuff, and rebooted.

AND WIRELESS WAS THERE. AND IT WAS GOOD.

So far no freezes (although it's a U.S. holiday and I'm not on my university's network), wireless is working fine, and everything seems happy.

So if you're having any hardware woes, consider commenting out the intrepid-proposed lines, re-installing some things, and it may solve some of your issues.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Beans

1. Does anyone here have a 'popping' noise come from the speakers on shutdown/suspend? Sounds like a little power surge hitting my speakers. It's not loud but it's definitely annoying.
    These guys seem to have the same problem with no answer: HERE

2. Also, anyone else have green artefacts appear at the top of the screen when initially shutting down? They appear for a split second right after the desktop disappears. Again, just an annoyance.

3. The wireless card turns on no matter what. I have the switch turned off but the purple light still lights up and my laptop still detects a signal. I can slide it on and then back off again to turn the light off, but it still insists on running.

I think that's it. Everything else works wonderfully thanks to you guys and this enormous thread.

Please help me out if you know how to sort these issues out! Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good news for any Y710 users - i have now officially solved all of my problems... I think.

I determined that the poor visualization was the result of using the repository supplied driver for my graphics card. Turning off "extra" visual effects in the Appearance menu managed to fix it, but it disables compiz, avant, and other things. So, clearly not a solution.

I downloaded the driver from the ati/amd website and followed instructions to compile it, which knocked out xorg. I was only able to boot into a text-only mode. After several hours of getting the old video driver back, only to have the new one crash again and again was simply too frustrating. I also experimented with the 2.6.27-3-rt kernel, (and i'm using 64-bit), which probably only made matters worse.

So, i took the plunge and decided to go back to Hardy Heron, and everything is working great! Visualization is back to normal, virtualbox doesn't skip every 5 seconds anymore, and the webcam worked out of the box. I didn't even have to recompile ALSA, i simply edited alsa-base and inserted the line of code for model name. I'm going to stick with the 2.6.24-22-generic kernel now, because i have no complaints at all anymore.

I was mocking Linux's "It just plain works" motto before, but now i see that it can, in fact, just plain work. Setting up /home on its own partition saved me countless hours of reconfiguring stuff, so i believe it should be a must with every linux installation.

Since i had a second Y710 here to attempt installation on, i believe that the graphics driver problem will affect all Y710 users - perhaps until ATI / AMD does something about it, but i wouldn't count on that any time soon. I don't know what caused the virtualbox skips, and i haven't used the newer Y710 long enough to see if it was a common problem... but starting tonight, i'm downgrading it to Hardy also. If anyone out there with a Y710 running Intrepid got their video to work properly, please say so.

Another weird problem i had on Intrepid is that whenever i booted via LILO, with a CD (Blu Ray?) in the drive, i would get alsa segfaults in dmesg. These are also gone in Hardy.

After being through several installations of Ubuntu now, i think i can put together an installation guide for the Y710, if anyone is interested.... let me know.

The next thing to try is to see if i can get Blu Ray working...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Good day all!

Anyone had anymore progress on the backlight issue and the DSDT?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chrismulderza View Post
    Good day all!

Anyone had anymore progress on the backlight issue and the DSDT?

Thanks

I haven't, but noticed something last night. My wife logged in on my laptop under a guest session, and it seemed like the backlight worked just as it should. I just don't get this problem -- it works fine in a guest session and on the live CD, but not on a full install?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post
    I haven't, but noticed something last night. My wife logged in on my laptop under a guest session, and it seemed like the backlight worked just as it should. I just don't get this problem -- it works fine in a guest session and on the live CD, but not on a full install?
    Hey wyth,

I was curious to check this out, so I tried logging with a guest session on my laptop, but got different results. The backlight control "appears" to be working correct on my laptop when using the hotkeys i.e. fn+up & fn+down. It starts the popup bar in the middle, then if you set it brighter the bar goes to full, and then you can still make the screen go brighter. If you go in the opposite direction it dims until you get half way, and then goes brighter again. Adding the brightness applet to the taskbar when logged in as guest, still only works in reverse. Go figure ...

Anyways I've been doing some trawling across the web, researching this issue, as well is trying to figure out how the DSDT and ISL and AML work, and have come across some interesting bits...

According to the kernel bug list (Here) there was an issue with ACPI returning the brightness values returned from the _BCL DSDT method "as is", meaning that it seems Lenovo programmed the DSDT in reversed order, and hence ACPI "reverses" them. The bug has apparantly been fixed in the kernel, so it might just take some time before it makes it down into an Ubuntu update. What's interesting to note, is that the Thinkpad SL300's and SL500's apparently also make use of the same or rather similiar BIOS and EC as the Ideapad's.

I am going to try a fix similiar to what is mentioned in bug 12037 and see if I can get any better results, will keep you folks posted.

What would also be useful is to get some information regarding the make and model of the Ideapad's embedded controller, so that we can modify the DSDT to be more "Linux friendly" ... anyone have any good connections at Lenovo? perhaps they can point us to a reference manual etc. ??? While looking through the DSDT I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of Windows V!sta specific function calls in the DSDT, especially in the case of the backlight control method(s) _BCM etc..

Anyways that's it for now..

PS. Making some progress on a patch to the ALSA drivers as well for the Ideapad, hope to have it compiling by the weekend .. ..

Cheers all!

Beans
    Distro

Oops that post went in twice for some reason
    Last edited by chrismulderza; December 21st, 2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Duplicate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well Good work evryone

As for the green artifacts on the screen at bootup and shutdown.... I have install ubuntu on two computers that that happens too. I just don't wory about it. I am sure it is fine.

Yes Linux is stable as hell if you use the older versions of programs that the programmers have had time to tweak and fix up. The new stuff is always a little less stable but the choice is up to you. That is the nice thing about Linux.

Nice work on the DSDT back-light stuff. I really want that fixed. And it just pi**es me off that it use to work but now no.
    You seem to be on to some good stuff. If you can code in AML then we should be able to get it to work.

Also, have you tried to set a ACPI flag to tell the BIOS that you are using VISTA and see if that works. Should enable all that Vista only code. But I forgot how to set the flag. I'm sure it is in the man pages.

Owe, I also set up a guest account and I don't think that it made any difference for me.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; December 21st, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro

Hey HunterThomson,

Just a quick update.

I have tried setting the ACPI flag to Vista with:

Code:
    acpi_osi="Windows 2006"
    Did not seem to make any difference. I'm assuming that the VISTA ACPI drivers have the ability to call some proprietary methods in the DSDT. Also just fixing up the package that gets returned by the _BCL method in the DSDT does not seem to fix the reversed backlight problem... ... The upside is that it does seem to make the brightness control "smoother", because of the additional steps.

From some extensive googling, it seems that the problem may be more complex, and that it could be somewhere between HAL and the kernel ACPI.. I'm going to try and patch to the latest ACPI release, which should have some fixes included and see...

I'm starting to get comfortable with the AML code stuff, but it damn difficult without having the Emedded Controller reference, which I'm still looking for... .. There's alot of other good stuff that can be done with a proper DSDT, especially around fan control, power management and the THERMAL ZONE stuff ... although I have not spent too much time looking into it, as I have been sidetracked by the ALSA patch I'm trying to get done for these laptops. There's another piece of opensource code that has very little documentation ... ...

On a side note, researching the ALSA drivers and the likes, I've found a fairly good sound setup, using pulse audio daemon at the centre of it all. I know some folks complained about it, but I'm starting to think that it's rather good, and has some really good potential. When I have some more time available, I'll start putting together a howto document for that as well...

Cheers all!

Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast