Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Hey howdy,

You can re-use your /home folder if and only if your /home folder is on its own partition. You can make a partition, copy the directory over there, then do a clean install and choose it for your /home directory (just don't format it). You can make that partition pretty big; my root partition is only about 4 gigs, and my /home partition is about 200 gigs.

I had the Sun version of VirtualBox, which was pretty slick. My virtual machines/.di files are in my /home directory. However, I ran into an issue on the upgrade -- I think it was because I ran the cruft remover in Intrepid, and it nixed any .debs I installed independently. So I just installed the ose version in the repository, and whadaya know, it automatically found my previous machine/.vdi, and everything is working great. In fact, the ose version feels lighter and faster than the previous one. Might want to install vboxgtk and the virtualbox-ose-guest-utils.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for the quick reply, Wyth.

Two questions for you:
    1. Any reason why you went from Sun XVM to OSE? I switched from OSE to XVM in order to gain USB support in my virtual machine. I like to backup my code files to flash drive, and I would like my webcam to work in my virtual machine as well, but I couldn't get it going before. If I connected it to the virtual machine, XP would just tell me that the camera device was in use and couldn't be opened...

2. Are there any good reasons to make separate partitions for the other options in the installer (/boot, /tmp, /usr, /var, /srv, /opt, /usr/local)? I'm assuming that they will all go into the / partition if i don't...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Y'know, I didn't even think about the usb issue, but I just tried something and got around it. Here's what I did:

Before opening up a virtual machine, I added /media/usb to my shared folders in the Vbox settings. (That's where my usb key shows up on my machine.) Fired up the virtual machine, and then added this code at the command line:
    Code:
    net use Z: \\vboxsvr\usb
    That added a persistent link in my XP shared network directories. If I didn't have my usb key in, it spit an error. When I plugged in my key and tried the link, it worked every time. So with that, usb problem solved.

As far as making partitions for other directories, I don't know of any good reason to make extras -- all those directories you ask about will appear in the /root partition, and the OS will just look to the other partition for your /home partition as if it were in your /root partition. I think some people put /boot on its own partition, but I've never needed to and am not clear on the specifics.

Hope this helps.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you Wyth. I think i may have tried that earlier, but i didn't set up the mount points correctly. Just out of curiosity, are you able to suppress that error message when the USB key is not plugged in? I haven't decided if i will go back to OSE or use XVM again...

Attention all Y710 Ubuntu users: The optical drive is alive!!! Some reports i have heard blame GRUB and state that using LILO solves the problem. I can confirm that this is true. It's so nice to have my optical drive working after many months of frustration. I haven't found any side effects yet, as my Intrepid install is fresh and there is much to be configured.

And yes, i was able to install LILO to the MBR of sdb (or hard drive 2). The Vista bootloader still exists on the MBR of sda (hard drive 1). If LILO can successfully boot into Vista and XP, then sdb will be my primary boot device in the BIOS, and i can just use the vista bootloader if something goes wrong... we'll see how that works out.

One odd thing that i noticed... Intrepid won't let you specify using LILO, it's pretty much locked down to GRUB. I couldn't change this (but i refused to try the text-based installation method - I'd much rather deal with GUI's)... but once intrepid was installed, "sudo apt-get install lilo" reveals that lilo is part of the default installation. Why would they default install LILO but not let you use it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you able to suppress that error message when the USB key is not plugged in?
    Not to worry -- it only spits the error if the key isn't plugged in and you click on the folder. The folder will always be there in the Network shares, but if the key isn't plugged in and you clicked on the folder, then it'll spit the error. (But you wouldn't be clicking on it anyway if the key wasn't plugged in.)

So the only difference is that the Network share always shows up, instead of only when the key is plugged in. It's a slight difference, and yes there are some other features the Sun version has that I haven't used and don't miss, but for running a virtual machine of XP, it's dandy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Has anyone else been running Intrepid? I've noticed very poor video performance. Full screen flash is terrible and actually blinks and pauses, and vmware performance is also terrible. This is with the linux-server kernel. Everything works great on Hardy with the same setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, running intrepid. No, have none of those problems. Make sure you have medibuntu enabled, and get the right flash packages (Flash 10 has been out for some time now). I don't use vmware, I use virtuabox, and it's fantastic.
    Last edited by wyth; November 2nd, 2008 at 04:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post
    Yes, running intrepid. No, have none of those problems. Make sure you have medibuntu enabled, and get the right flash packages (Flash 10 has been out for some time now). I don't use vmware, I use virtuabox, and it's fantastic.
    Been on Flash 10, and VMware is not the problem. It has to be something with either the new Server kernel (which I'm only using because I have 4gb RAM) or something with the latest Intel driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Alright. I'm now on my 3rd install of Intrepid. I learned a few things:
    1. It's a really bad idea to copy your entire home folder of your old partition to your brand new /home partition as root while in your new install. This causes many permissions errors, among other annoyances.
    2. Simply reinstalling your / partition and trying to use this messed up /home partition won't help either.

I've got the tri-boot going quite well now. On my 3rd install, I set up a small partition for /boot and stashed LILO there. Since LILO crashed on my second try, my plan is this: Use the Vista bootloader (on MBR of sda) to chainboot LILO (just have to point it to / partition - it finds the /boot partition). If anything fails, i believe GRUB is still installed to the MBR of sdb, so i can just boot from the other hard drive and fix up LILO. I didn't allow LILO to touch the MBR, so i'm pretty sure GRUB is still there, but i don't want to try it in case it somehow messes up LILO. We'll save that one for emergencies.

I notice LILO boots slower, but shuts down much faster than GRUB. Also, the LILO install fresh from the CD was broken - it keeps asking for a bmp file that doesn't exist, but it seems to work just fine if you edit /etc/lilo.conf to just "text" mode instead of "bmp".

I also went through Wyth's Y510 instructions for getting the sound to work. It seems his instructions work just as well for the Y710, but... i notice lenovo-sky as a model option works well, and makes use of the "surround" channel for subwoofer, and "center" and "LFE" now do nothing... but it seemed quieter to me, so i tried the old Y710 suggestion of 6stack-dell and to me it sounds louder for sure. Be sure to set it to 8 channel, in which case surround does nothing and center and LFE both control the subwoofer. Anyone with a Y510 want to try this and see if it works better?

Brightness isn't circular; instead when you turn brightness up, it seems to jump up two levels and then back down one... and the opposite logic for turning brightness down. Weird, but not annoying enough for me to do anything about it. Brightness jumps down a few levels on battery power, but all levels are still available.

Webcam (with cheese) isn't working out of the box... i'm still playing with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well I am back to Ubuntu and liking it. I resized my swap partition then when trying to make it mount on boot I somehow messed up the whole HHD. Not even Gparted on a live cd could read anything. I didn't fell like spending the next month installing Archlinux and after installing Xubuntu on 4 of my friends computers I have come to find two things. One, getting niddy griddy with Linux is a lot of fun though time consuming. Two, at then end of the day you just want your computer to work with out a bunch of hassle. So, back to friendly Ubuntu it is.

Really, what took me ~4hrs to install and setup in Xubuntu (xorg, Xfce, video driver, flash, java, laptop-mode-tools, locals, volume button, clock, logfiles....) Would have taken me 30+ hrs with Archlinux.

And I am glad to report that 8.10 is Good.

Wireless is up on boot
    Sound stays where you set it And Sound sounds better.
    Headphones Mute the speakers
    Back light "Seems like" it is brighter. Mine dose that thing chargersfan420 was talking about but hay it seems brighter for real. When I first booted into the live CD it thought the screen was full bright for sure.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; November 6th, 2008 at 06:04 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast