Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Chargersfan420,

Have you tried to change your SATA controler back to "ACHI" in CMOS Setup Utility? Your Optical drive is most likely connected to a SATA port. In your first post you said that you changed it to "Compatibility" for XP. I read someware ells that the person had to set their SATA controler to Compatability for Windows and back to ACHI for Linux. This sounds like something you would have tried alredy but if you have not do it. It sounds like this is the most likely of the unlikely solutions.

edit: Well if it is not on SATA try it anyway. Also the SSDT is error free on the Y510.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; September 7th, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post
    Sonyadora,

I can't help you with the S-Video, but you should probably look at these pages:

DVD: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Dial-Up: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto
    I had already looked at those, they weren't much help. It turned out my problem with the optical drive was related to the BIOS settings. I had to change from "Compatibility" to "ACHI" (I'd initially changed it when my first attempt at installing Feisty failed to see if that would help. It didn't, I installed Hardy and never changed it back). Since then, everything's been groovy.

The nice folks at linmodems.org have been helping me with the dial up modem. We've got the OS talking to the modem, but it still won't dial out. Still haven't tried the S-Video.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sonyadora View Post
    I had already looked at those, they weren't much help. It turned out my problem with the optical drive was related to the BIOS settings. I had to change from "Compatibility" to "ACHI" (I'd initially changed it when my first attempt at installing Feisty failed to see if that would help. It didn't, I installed Hardy and never changed it back). Since then, everything's been groovy.

The nice folks at linmodems.org have been helping me with the dial up modem. We've got the OS talking to the modem, but it still won't dial out. Still haven't tried the S-Video.
    Right on,
    Please report back with info on the modem.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evets25 View Post
    Ok, so I tried the patch(s) given in the guide, and was eventually able to compile and install the patched kernel module, which made me happy at first, but when I tried to actually use the webcam (I.e.: I opened up cheese), it completely froze the system. It's the kind of behavior I would expect if I loaded a driver for the wrong device, but I don't know. The webcam isn't that important to me (I never use it), so I don't really care about getting it to work again.
    I did the same.

I got so sick of trying software fixes to the upside-down camera, that I made a hardware fix. I took my leatherman and pried off the shiny sheet covering the monitor.

Suddenly, I realized this solved another problem: the annoying glossy (reflective) screen.

Then, I cut off a piece of the plastic above the monitor surrounding the webcam, removed the circuit board with the camera on it, turned it around and replaced it (to the right of where it was previously, since the cable didn't have any slack).

Viola, right-side-up image. Works in cheese & skype, and presumably any other program. 15 minute hardware fix for what had been an unsuccessful 4+ hours of various attempted software fixes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jacobleonardking View Post
    I did the same.

I got so sick of trying software fixes to the upside-down camera, that I made a hardware fix. I took my leatherman and pried off the shiny sheet covering the monitor.

Suddenly, I realized this solved another problem: the annoying glossy (reflective) screen.

Then, I cut off a piece of the plastic above the monitor surrounding the webcam, removed the circuit board with the camera on it, turned it around and replaced it (to the right of where it was previously, since the cable didn't have any slack).

Viola, right-side-up image. Works in cheese & skype, and presumably any other program. 15 minute hardware fix for what had been an unsuccessful 4+ hours of various attempted software fixes.
    =D> You have got some Balls !

You'd never find me taking apart my laptop and cuting parts off.
    Good job though. Could you post a Pic?
    Last edited by HunterThomson; September 8th, 2008 at 03:13 AM.

Beans

Is anyone still having problems getting the subwoofer to work? I have followed the instructions posted by wyth, and other than the subwoofer, the audio is excellent. I tried all three options listed in the configuration file with no luck. There were no problems during the setup, but I still have no LFE option in the volume controls. I have the HDA intel alsa mixer selected.

Beans

As per request:
    foo.jpg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecycle View Post
    Is anyone still having problems getting the subwoofer to work? I have followed the instructions posted by wyth, and other than the subwoofer, the audio is excellent. I tried all three options listed in the configuration file with no luck. There were no problems during the setup, but I still have no LFE option in the volume controls. I have the HDA intel alsa mixer selected.
    Hum... do you have a Y510, Y710, or U???

Do you get the new center, suround, ..................

You know what I think is going on. I did this when I first got this laptop... You just need to go into prefrences and check all the "NEW" boxes there to enable the "NEW" volume controle bar's. You have to do that in "Gnome ALSAmixer". To check really fast to see if that is all just open up a shell and run this comand to open up the ALSA mixer in there. The 'NEW' volume control bar's apear on there owne in the shell alsamixer...

Code:
    alsamixer
    Don't forget to change the Chanels to "ch6" from "ch2". Also I mute the CD because is makes a high piched ringing sound. I use this option and is works vary well for me.

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-ms7195-dig
    Last edited by HunterThomson; September 9th, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jacobleonardking View Post
    As per request:
    foo.jpg
    WOW that is hard core. Looks cool though. Thanks for the Pic

Beans

HunterThomson:
    I have the y510. I do not have center or surround options. Initially the audio was very quiet and after following the instructions in wyth's post, the max volume increased to an acceptable level. Upon closer inspection, the center channel (above the keyboard) is not working. Gnome ALSAmixer does not show any more options. Everything is enabled. Also, I do no see anywhere to select ch6/ch2. I am currently using options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-ms7195-dig as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast