Thread: Wifi Light on HP Laptop?

Beans

Wifi Light on HP Laptop?

Currently I am running ubuntu 9.10. Everything works great with the OS except for one nagging issue. On the front of the laptop there is a light that turns blue when wifi is on and connected. It always works when I have a windows os installed. However on ubuntu it just stays orange. It's nothing major, its just annoying to see it orange when I know it should be blue.

My laptop model is: HP dv6915nr
    anyone know how or if i can fix this?

Beans

Re: Wifi Light on HP Laptop?

well... unfortunately I can't help you... because I'm a total noob
    but I'm in the same situation with my HP, my light should be turned off when Wifi off and blue ...when on (of course)
    like you said... it's no biggie...just a tad annoying
    so.. any help with be appreciated guys
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by octobermagic View Post
    Currently I am running ubuntu 9.10. Everything works great with the OS except for one nagging issue. On the front of the laptop there is a light that turns blue when wifi is on and connected. It always works when I have a windows os installed. However on ubuntu it just stays orange. It's nothing major, its just annoying to see it orange when I know it should be blue.

My laptop model is: HP dv6915nr
    anyone know how or if i can fix this?
    are you or can you connect to a wireless connection?

Orange may mean it is on but not connected where blue may mean it is connected/active.

You may need to activate the "non-free" (as in not open source) drivers....SYSTEM>>ADMINISTRATION>>HARDWARE DRIVERS and download the drivers for your wireless.
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans

Yeah my wireless is on and active. I can surf the web and see network. But like I said it should be blue when it's on and active and not orange.

Beans

no ideas anyoNE?

Beans

this might help. lots of laptops use that same chipset

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=10

make sure you get the karmic one though. that post is old.

Beans

I tried doing what that link says but it does not work. Bah little things like these is what makes linux frustrating. Guess i'll just have to leave it orange.

Beans

Never mind it worked I had to reboot the computer first. Thanks a bunch now I can sleep better using ubuntu knowing that the eye sore orange light is gone