Thread: Dbl Boot Now, Want to add 3rd OS on 2nd HDD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dbl Boot Now, Want to add 3rd OS on 2nd HDD

I am currently double booting xp and xubuntu from the master HDD and intend to keep these two OS intact. Now I would like to set up my second HDD so I can triple boot an additional third system for distro hopping. I have read that it can be done easily, but since the MBR is on the first HDD I would be required to do some HDD mapping to have the third OS show up on the grub boot screen at boot up. Is this correct? Can I just install the third OS on the slave HDD in a new partition and then add a line of code to the current grub config file which is located on the master HDD and thus create a third grub entry so that I can boot to the third OS? Thanks for any suggestions.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

Re: Dbl Boot Now, Want to add 3rd OS on 2nd HDD

Quote Originally Posted by 4Orbs View Post
    Can I just install the third OS on the slave HDD in a new partition and then add a line of code to the current grub config file which is located on the master HDD and thus create a third grub entry so that I can boot to the third OS? Thanks for any suggestions.
    It's as simple as that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the replies. I ended up installing all three systems on the master HDD and using the slave HDD for common storage between all three. Triple boot works as expected and now I'm collecting the various iso images for the OS's. Triple boot seems like a great way to distro hop. Thanks again.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 4Orbs View Post
    Triple boot seems like a great way to distro hop. Thanks again.
    Using a VM is much easier and simpler.