Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Broadband to Alternative WWW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Free Broadband to Alternative WWW

I was just now listening to the radio broadcast of Democracy Now, a bit they did on the USA MainCore data base. It got me to thinking how all of our voice and digital communication is probably monitored and to an extent controlled by governments and "big business".

I guess it is still 1984.

I think we don't have to accept this situation. CB radios are inexpensive. Similar radios with data link connections to our computers would also be inexpensive. Existing technology can provide the necessary hardware and software to allow individuals around the world to interconnect their CB-like data radios/computers to establish the Alternative World Wide Web (AWWW). An encryption scheme that could prevent "Big Brother" from assuming control might be possible.

I thought to plant this seed and see if it would grow.

Love to all of us,
    EdB
    *I suspect that I invest waaay too much time and money in trying to keep up with current personal technology.*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Free Broadband to Alternative WWW

I have often thought of this The FCC would never allow it here
    EDIT: Plus we'd need a lot of support to get it started if you 1000 users in VA and 1000 Alabama then that two separate networks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, please don't tell the hams!
    *I suspect that I invest waaay too much time and money in trying to keep up with current personal technology.*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Seriously. There is nothing that could stop this from working, technically or govermentaly. Apathy could, though.

Beans

I've thought of something like this a while back... an alternative second internet... but I didnt think of radio... but i'm wondering what kind of speeds can be achieved through the CD radios.. I'm just curious... I'm really all for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'll have to verify my guess, but since a 1.5 MHz T1 carries about 80% of the carrier speed as intelligence (overhead + data), a 25MHz or so radio signal should handle at least 5Mbs of strongly encrypted data.

Maybe an amatuer radio enthusiast out there can add to this discussion.

?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

That's just for a point-to-point connection. If you mean the average available throughput in and out of the network, we'll need to build some prototypes and do some testing.

See this image. A GoogleMap view of a hemisphere with interconnected dots. Each dot is a radio with a range that overlaps several adjacent dots/radios. Given existing multi-path routing capabilities, one might achieve nominal throughput anydot to anyotherdot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

We'd have to put a system place so that if client A connect to server 1 he'd go through client B normally but is in the range of clients B,C,D,E,F and client B goes down it reroutes data not through one radio but splits it up in to parts for each radio as not to overload other clients
    P.S. Only Linux on this new network Windows takes up to much traffic with viruses and Mac OS X (I have no reasoning for OS X)
    P.P.S Another good thing to do is set aside band with so if Client Bg (next client in line to server) is overloaded it can send a signal to reroute so as not to use Bg ( so Bg can re-stabilize)
    Last edited by gletob; July 26th, 2008 at 03:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

We don't want a server model. It's a distributed model.

Beans

I feel we'd have to revamp the whole concept of IPs because some people claim that the internet could run out of IPs eventually so I think a upgrade for that is in place at least.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast