Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Photosmart C4480 - will print, but won't scan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

HP Photosmart C4480 - will print, but won't scan

Hi,

I recently got a HP Photosmart C4480. Printing is fine -- all I did was connect the USB and OpenOffice found it and printed just fine.

I can't figure out how to use the scanner, though. When I start up XSane, it says "No devices available".

I tried installing HPLIP Toolbox, but this can't seem to find my printer either. "hp-info" finds "No devices found", which is odd, as clearly OO has no problem finding it. Also, after installing HPLIP, strangely the only new programs in my menu are two fax-related programs. I expected something more....

This page http://hplip.sourceforge.net/support...ces/index.html suggests that HPLIP doesn't support this printer (yet?).

Can anyone offer a suggestion to help get my scanner in action? Thanks.

By the way, I'm on 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I've been putting off upgrading...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HP Photosmart C4480 - will print, but won't scan

Hi GrantB. I have the c4210 and all I need to do is place a document in the scanner and the display on the printer machine lets me scan from there. Is yours the same?
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This page doesn't list your actual model, but shows that several Photosmart scanners are not supported.

Which is very frustrating because HP is one of the better manufacturers for Linux support.

Is there any chance of your being able to change that machine? I've got a HP Officejet 6310 All-in-One and everything works fine ootb. And despite the name, it prints photoquality (with the correct inks) very well.

Apart from http://www.sane-project.org , the other site you might want to bookmark (and you might find it useful to check out the printer half of your machine) is http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hansdown,
    Do you mean "Scan to PC", where you control the scan from the printer control? I tried that, but it didn't work: "Scan Error. Try scan from computer or see documentation."

coffeecat,
    Do you mean to try a different PC? Sorry, I only have the one Linux machine. (I guess I could try my wife's Windows machine, but that won't really help diagnose anything.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
    That will install an interface in System>Preferences.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

GrantB, sorry to be so vague. What I mean't was, the small screen at the front left of the scanning cover. There should be three buttons; scan, print, and copy. These are functional, but the actions don't show on your computer screen.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
    coffeecat, Do you mean to try a different PC?
    Apologies for not being clear. I meant, could you exchange the printer/scanner for another one? Depending on consumer rights in your country you may be able to. For instance, here in the UK, if you buy from a distance seller (delivered to the door) you have a right in consumer law to return it for refund/replacement within (I think) 30 days - no questions asked. If you buy from a high-street retailer, your rights are more restricted but some of the big retailers can be quite generous. Good for public relations, I suppose.

On the other hand, some retailers can be downright awkward.

HP Photosmart c4400 series

Supported by HPLIP (requires HPLIP version 2.8.5 or later).

Distro Version Installer GUI Scan

Ubuntu 5.04 No Yes Yes
    Ubuntu 5.1 No Yes Yes
    Ubuntu 6.06 Yes Yes Yes
    Ubuntu 6.10 Yes Yes Yes
    Ubuntu 7.04 Yes Yes Yes
    Ubuntu 7.10 Yes Yes Yes
    Ubuntu 8.04 Yes Yes Yes
    What version of HPLIP is installed on Gutsy Gibbon?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hansdown,
    Yeah, I tried initiating the scan from the HP's panel. As I said earlier, didn't work.

coffeecat,
    Not really an option. This model was free with purchase of a Mac (purchased for my job). This is the only model to choose from without added cost.

phidia,
    Thanks. I actually did install the gui, I just didn't look in the right menu for it. However, "ERROR: No device found or unsupported device."

Sef,
    Where'd you get that info from? It appears my version is 2.7.7, so I guess that's my problem. Can I use the Ubuntu management tools to upgrade HPLIP without upgrading my whole Ubuntu install, or do I need to use apt-get or something? (I really am a noob when it comes to system administration, sorry.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Even Hardy doesn't have that new a HPLIP (2.8.2, FYI).

If you go to the official HPLIP site, you can download an Automatic Installer which claims to work with Ubuntu from 6.06 onwards:

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

That's probably your best (and easiest) bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast