Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: Creative X-Fi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How-To: Creative X-Fi

Thanks for the responses, I will see how upgrading works. Hopefully it's not a complete re-install! From what I noticed of this journey so far, everything is very manual, I guess that's the whole idea... Forces one to learn how things work, take more control and go on, but, in the mean time! UGGGHHH!!!!!!

Update 1: Okay, desktop is upgrading to 8.10 as I type... Was quite easy, searched "upgrage ubuntu", first page I found, read the first two or three steps, booted up ubutu, followed those steps, just a couple, and we're on the way! Not too bad at all! Thanks again. Will let 'cha know about the Xfi sound after complete.

Update 2: GOOD GOD MAN!! I HAVE SOUND!!! I even was brave enough to DL VLC and configure it to run! I don't know how to act!! I'm going to Disneyland!!

Thanks again for your help, I feel there is hope. Am currently trying to get my 13 year old daughter to learn this new OS, told her to forget Apple OS, focus on this. So far, I think I may have her hooked. Time will tell...

Update 3: Got sound for flac and mp3, but no system sounds and no web site sounds. Can see the vid on sites like "you tube" but no audio. Have checked several settings, continuing the search!
    Last edited by siNJin; December 10th, 2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: update 3

Beans

I too finally have sound. I've been messing around with various Distros, and quickly making them unusable, for several months now. Figured I'd give Ubuntu another shot and was so glad to find that there is a working driver for the Creative X-Fi cards. I got them working before using OSS4, but that was a huge pain that I didn't want to go through again. Thanks for the guide!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Thanks for the post. This worked great. In your guide you said to restart. When I restarted I herd the Ubuntu sounds as I was logging off.

If you are having the undefined warnings at the end of the make, my little story might help you.

I upgraded to 8.10 -- lots of attendant quirks to recover my KDE set up etc.

However -- and I've noticed this before, but forgot -- for some reason the upgrade did NOT update my grub menu.lst. So when I did the compile I was getting a myriad of unknown symbols in the module. I went looking for the kernel headers and realized the upgrade had installed 2.6.27.9-generic but I was still booting with the older one from Hardy because grub didn't get updated.

So I manually updated grub (recompile NVidia driver) and the XFi works! Well, sort of. I'm having problems with KDE4's sound system remembering which card I want to use for the default, but since I don't reboot often, I'm not going to push that problem today.

Beans

I have a problem too. I have my xfi driver working all well and good, however for some reason when i run mplayer (or any frontend OTHER than totem) i don't get any sound.

I've narrowed it down to it being something to do with the fact that the XFi driver isnt the oss driver but works on the same basic driver.

I was wondering if there was any way i could get my mplayer (well the smplayer frontend) to use the actual xfi driver that is installed (i.e. Creative ALSA Driver X-Fi Wave Out/Wave In (OSS))

I'm using the alsa mixer all ok too, i'm running a fresh install so there are no packages other than those with the updates (to date) and libsoundsupport (for flash audio)

Beans

Anyone else having weird problems like only being able to play .wma's but when trying to play .mp3's they are super distorted and loud?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Microsis View Post
    Anyone else having weird problems like only being able to play .wma's but when trying to play .mp3's they are super distorted and loud?
    *SOLVED* I just selected "autodetect" instead of specifying the X-Fi (OSS) in sound settings. Works like a charm now.. FINALLY! I LOVE LINUX! I LOVE LIFE!

Beans

Nullhead you may want to add this info to your front page.

If you check dmesg you may see a line reading something like
    CTALSA: probe of 0000:03:00.0 failed with error -2

After install you are not getting the driver to completely load you need to check the subsystem of your sound card.

An example of a non working card.

#lspci -v
    04:00.0 Audio device: Creative Labs Device 000b (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 0043
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 9
    Memory at e4200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Memory at e4000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel modules: ctxfi

An example of a working card.

#lspci -v
    03:00.0 Audio device: Creative Labs Device 000b (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 0043
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at fe9f0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Memory at fe600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
    Memory at f8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: CTALSA
    Kernel modules: ctxfi

Notice the Kernel driver in use: CTALSA line on the working card.

The problem lies in the fact that Creative did not add all the subsystems to the ctdrv.h file.

Check what subsystem you have line 2 of the lspci -v, if you have a newer PCIe card your subsystem most likely will be 42 or 43. make the below adjustments to the ctdrv.h file and remake the driver.

#define PCI_SUBSYS_CREATIVE_SB0880 0x0041

to

#define PCI_SUBSYS_CREATIVE_SB0880 0x0042
    or
    #define PCI_SUBSYS_CREATIVE_SB0880 0x0043

after a reinstall and reboot your sound should work.

Beans

New computer with a X-FI Titanium Fatality here.
    Changing subsystem number from 41 to 43 made my sound card work.
    I passed many hours searching the web for a solution.
    Many thanks CptHook!!!

Beans

I'm curious on how the progress have been going with the opensource drivers, is there any effort being put into them?

Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast