Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Conky SSL Email Python Script

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Conky SSL Email Python Script

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    Ok, so after cleaning up and stripping down my conky, I've decided to add a few more items to it. After looking through the conky variables list, I noticed the "new_mails" variable. So I code it up and it works great, EXCEPT of course that I have to run my mail client before "new_mails" knows there's mail.

Then I find this thread, and go through the install. It tells me I have 33 mails, which is puzzling, until I actually READ the documentation and discover that it sees all the emails on a POP account and not just the new ones.

I sure would get a lot more sleep if I would bother to READ the documentation at the beginning and not the end!
    I feel you! lol

POP is crap....simply put. The only way a script could know what is new is to keep a record of the messages, and do comparisons everytime. ANd even then how does the script know if an email from before should still be "new" or now, cause it's not used to read them...

The easiest option is to setup your mail client to not leave messages on the server, so when it reads them the script finds none on the server.

The best option is to switch to an email provider who has IMAP support, google mail is a good example.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    The easiest option is to setup your mail client to not leave messages on the server, so when it reads them the script finds none on the server.

The best option is to switch to an email provider who has IMAP support, google mail is a good example.
    Couldn't agree more. My POP accounts have been set up to delete mails after I download them for years. And I mean YEARS! I don't like leaving mails on the servers. I have them all here. Every now and then I clean out the ones that are over a year or so old. Unfortunately my ISP doesn't offer IMAP support. Therefore my "count" always reads "actual mails" as new mails, because the minute I open Thunderbird and download them they are deleted from the server.

I have yet to setup conkyEmail to check my gmail account. I really should do that some day. Call me lazy, but I seldom get mail there unless it's spam.

Have a nice day.
    Bruce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'd have to go the route of switching email providers rather than deleting the mail. Since I travel a lot, I'm constantly in the position of having to have access to emails I've read from home (itineraries, confirmation numbers, etc) so I leave my mail on the server for 7 days before it auto-deletes. This has saved me countless times, so I wouldn't be comfortable changing it.

Since my webmail client can tell whether or not something's been read, I suppose it must keep a hash table or something and compare the header or some other item to what's in the table so it knows whether to bold it (unread) or not. Either way, it probably does not lend itself well to our application.

Thanks for the great script btw. It is actually really nice, and it's a shame I can't take full advantage of it.
    Desktop: Quantal on Core2 Duo E8500/Asus P5Q
    Laptop: Precise on S76 Pangolin

Beans
    Hidden!

I'd have to go the route of switching email providers rather than deleting the mail. Since I travel a lot, I'm constantly in the position of having to have access to emails I've read from home (itineraries, confirmation numbers, etc) so I leave my mail on the server for 7 days before it auto-deletes. This has saved me countless times, so I wouldn't be comfortable changing it.

Since my webmail client can tell whether or not something's been read, I suppose it must keep a hash table or something and compare the header or some other item to what's in the table so it knows whether to bold it (unread) or not. Either way, it probably does not lend itself well to our application.

Thanks for the great script btw. It is actually really nice, and it's a shame I can't take full advantage of it.
    IMAP is definitely the answer for you...it is server orientated mail protocol so if you're on the move a lot it suits...

Beans
    Hidden!

Hmmmmmm, can your regular email provider be configured to "forward all mail" to another mail box? If so you could get an IMAP server (gmail) have your mail forwarded there and have the best of both worlds.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post
    Hmmmmmm, can your regular email provider be configured to "forward all mail" to another mail box? If so you could get an IMAP server (gmail) have your mail forwarded there and have the best of both worlds.
    My problem with that is then when I send outgoing mail, it doesn't have my proper "from" address.

Beans
    Hidden!

My problem with that is then when I send outgoing mail, it doesn't have my proper "from" address.
    Oops! Yea, never thought of that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post
    Oops! Yea, never thought of that.
    lol. It's even worse with my family, because then they'll add the "new" address to their address book automatically, then do "reply all" and I'll get two copies of everything.

Yes, it's happened before

Beans
    Hidden!

set an alternative reply-to address for the new account

Beans

Another one not working correctly for me (it must be something i'm missing or doing wrong)
    All conky is displaying is this:

but i'd like it to display underneath the unread message count the sender and title in this format
    Sender - Title
    how would i go about doing this?
    my .conkyrc is
    Code:
    ${execi 600 python /home/fedora/Scripts/conkyEmail.py --servertype=IMAP --servername=imap.googlemail.com --username=*****@googlemail.com --password=***** --ssl}
    and my conkyEmail is
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    cd /home/fedora/Scripts/
    $PYTHONPATH /usr/bin/python /home/fedora/Scripts/conkyEmail.py "$@"
    ${voffset 10}${font Terminus:style=Bold:size=9}${color3}Google: ${font}${color1}[--servertype=IMAP --servername=imap.googlemail.com --ssl --username=*****@googlemail.com --password=***** --mailinfo=3]
    Thanks

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast