Thread: How to determine PENTIUM 4 , 64 bit capability

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED]How to determine PENTIUM 4 , 64 bit capability

I'm currently running the 32 bit version of 8.04
    My understanding is that some P4's can run 64 bit OS.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=716840

The link above points to this intel chart: http://www.intel.com/products/proces...t/pentium4.htm

Questions:
    1)Short of tearing my computer apart to see what's on printed on the processor, is there a easy Ubuntu utility that will tell me the detailed information I need?

2) Aside from the processor,memory, are there any other land mines I need to watch out for? I suppose the next logical step would be to get a 64 bit live CD to try it. If anyone has some other pre-test suggestions, I appreciate hearing them.
    Btw I found this link interesting:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=836350

3) Assuming my box is capable of running this in theory, will I regret doing this in the long run? Is anyone out there actually running 64-bit on a Pentium 4? (My main interested is to get OpenCascade running and most of the Debian work on this has been focused on the 64 bit enviroment? (I experienced a lot of pain getting the 32 bit version working)
    Last edited by Jonas thomas; July 28th, 2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Figured out my answer.

Beans

Re: How to determine PENTIUM 4 , 64 bit capability

Applications -> System Tools -> Device Manager will tell you the details about your processor... or should.

64-bit Ubuntu doesn't really run any differently than 32-bit. The only real problem you'll have is getting Java to work. But if you're like me, you hate Java and won't care.

I'm running 64-bit Hardy on an Athlon 64. It runs fine.

There are three big benefits to x86_64, though.

1. It is slightly faster.

2. You can access a lot more memory than 32-bit, which is fast approaching its 4 GiB ceiling. That was one of the biggest reasons why the x86-type market went 64-bit.

3. You future-proof your machine. By the end of this decade, I imagine there's going to be primarily 64-bit operating systems. Just like when we jumped from 16-bit to 32-bit.
    Last edited by YaroMan86; July 24th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by YaroMan86 View Post
    Applications -> System Tools -> Device Manager will tell you the details about your processor... or should.
    The "device manager" of previous Ubuntu versions (hal-device-manager) has been replaced by gnome-device-manager, but I don't believe this is installed in Hardy by default.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-device-manager
    There's a slight mistake in the application's desktop configuration file that prevents it from automatically appearing in the GNOME menu. Go to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=861473 and look at post #7 for a solution.

Alternatively, you can simply open the device manager through the terminal:
    Code:
    gnome-device-manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

when you boot up the computer just enter the BIOS menu it should display what model P4 chip you have, write it down and google it for specs..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I checked the BIOS as well the gnome-device-manager. Both say Pentium 4 253 Ghz. My mother board is a ASUS P4V8X-MX.
    For some reason I'm having trouble getting the specs on that one from Intel.
    I guess I should try ASUS tech support.
    Last edited by Jonas thomas; July 25th, 2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: left out a word

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

THe easiest way to find your cpu's capabilities is open up a terminal and type:

Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    This will tell you as much as you need to know.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The best way to find out about 64 bit is the 64 bit community. Many of the most common questions are answered on this page.

If you've tried everything and still can't figure out if your processor is supported, burn a 64-bit live disk and try it. If your processor isn't 64-bit it will give you an error message telling you, quite specifically, that your processor isn't 64-bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried this is terminal
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    This definately spits out the most information about the processor so far suggested. What most of it means I haven't got a clue.. I'm going to need to do some more research on this..
    results are below:

Code:
    jonas@Ubuntu4:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
    cpu family	: 15
    model		: 2
    model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
    stepping	: 7
    cpu MHz		: 2533.422
    cache size	: 512 KB
    fdiv_bug	: no
    hlt_bug		: no
    f00f_bug	: no
    coma_bug	: no
    fpu		: yes
    fpu_exception	: yes
    cpuid level	: 2
    wp		: yes
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts sync_rdtsc cid xtpr
    bogomips	: 5074.36
    clflush size	: 64
    Last edited by Jonas thomas; July 26th, 2008 at 05:48 AM.

Beans

just type

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

in terminal

lm means Long mode - 64 bit CPU

this is what i got

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

there is lm..mening i have a 64 bit processor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm feeling fair confident that I don't have a 64-bit Pentium-4
    I just tried the grep thing....
    Code:
    jonas@Ubuntu4:~$ grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts sync_rdtsc cid xtpr
    No lm... things are looking not too good.

In addition, I just burned a Live CD of the 64-bit version 8.04.01 and thought I'd give a try:
    I got the message (had to retype)
    THIS KERNEL REQUIRES AN X86-64CPU BUT ONLY DETECTED A i1586 CPU. UNABLE TO BOOT - PLEASE USE A KERNEL APPROPRIATE TO YOUR CPU.
    I guess I'm out of luck here....
    Last edited by Jonas thomas; July 28th, 2008 at 05:07 AM.