Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good digital camera?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

good digital camera?

anyone know of a good digital camera (preferable 7mp) that is $350 or lower?
    System Specs
    ASUS A8V Deluxe (NOT ASUS A8V-E DELUXE!!!!)
    AMD 64 3500
    1 GIG Kingston DDR
    Nvidia Geforce 6800GT
    SB Audigy 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: good digital camera?

Megapixels aren't the only consideration out there. 8MP cameras with small sensors are terrible when it comes to sensor noise. At your price point, I shudder to think about the noise levels in those sensors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

hmm i dont know much about cameras. i thought the higher the mp the better, and i was looking into a few different cameras

sony DSC-W7 7.2MP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830150064

Kodak EasyShare V550 5.0MP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830170039

Sony DSC-P200 7.2MP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830150057

those are the three i was looking at, although i am open to more options...but what do you guys think about those 3 (or show me one that is good)
    Last edited by DarkManX4lf; November 7th, 2005 at 01:25 AM.
    System Specs
    ASUS A8V Deluxe (NOT ASUS A8V-E DELUXE!!!!)
    AMD 64 3500
    1 GIG Kingston DDR
    Nvidia Geforce 6800GT
    SB Audigy 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Total megapixel counts are only part of the story. In terms of the technical end of things, you also have to consider how noisy the sensor is, how wide the contrast range is, and what the maximum sensitivity of the sensor is.

Have a look around at the reviews on dpreview.

Beans

Unhappy Re: good digital camera?

Hi,

did anyone get the Kodak V550 to work with digiKam?

The camera gets identified as
    "USB PTP Class Camera"

I get an icon on the desktop "camera", when I click on it, the following URL appears in Konqueror:
    "camera://USB PTP Class Camera@[usb:002,002]/"

/var/log/syslog says:
    Code:
    28.12.2005 23:37:59	localhost	kernel	[4308038.758000] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
    28.12.2005 23:38:03	localhost	usb.agent[10009]	     libgphoto2: loaded successfully
    When I try to access the camera, it fails to read the SD disc that is inserted into the camera. The SD disc is formatted with FAT32 AFAIK. When I start up digiKam, it lists all the filenames of the pictures, but I can't download them. There are no thumbnails that were generated, also.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
    Stephan

Beans
    Hidden!

i have a nikon coolpix5600 that i'm very happy with (got it and a bunch of junk to go with it for $400).

7 mps, with a ****** lens, is useless. get a great lens and as many mps as you can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

yes the sony DSC-W7 7.2MP is a great camera and newegg has it cheaper than anywhere else, in fact i got the camera there 3 months ago and have no complaints.
    No Sig Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Something else to be aware of is the optical zoom. Never mind digital zoom, you can do that on the computer later if you must. Optical is what's important.
    I used to have an Olympus C-750 with a 10x optical zoom. Great lens, but it was sloooow... Couldn't focus well in low light, and the manual focus was useless. I think the later versions have focus assist.

Given the right conditions though, it could be superb:
    http://geocities.com/xmastree_ph/bug/

You really need to decide what type of camera you want. Something pocketable to have with you always, or something larger but invariably with a better lens.
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

10x focus is way too much for a normal user, and it will give you problems with ilumination and also gets unusable at high ampliation without a tripod.

I would take a look at canon and nikon cameras, 3x or 4x optical zoom (not more!). Despite consumism and marketing anything above 3Mpixels is perfect to take normal sized pics, even ampliations. Mine's a 2,2 Mpx and beats a pair of 5Mpx i've used.

Wouldn't go for a >5Mpixel since the improve of quality is hard to appreciate, but the pics will take lots of space in your card (you will be needing and paying for a bigger memory card without any significant benefit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I've got an HP Photosmart R717 that I'm very happy with. Produces fantastic pictures...for the novice photographer.
    "It is hard to follow one great vision in this world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost." - Black Elk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast