Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G

so there goes the question:
    - if no iPhone, then what? what alternatives do we have?
    i'm not trying to defend iPhone, i'm just wondering if there is some gadget of similiar functionality out there? best would be linux-friendly.

same as someone earlier, i'm gadget addicted nerd and looking for good smartphone with good music playback as priority. maybe you could suggest something?

cheers,
    cezy

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cezdeville View Post
    i'm not trying to defend iPhone, i'm just wondering if there is some gadget of similiar functionality out there? best would be linux-friendly.

same as someone earlier, i'm gadget addicted nerd and looking for good smartphone with good music playback as priority. maybe you could suggest something?

cheers,
    cezy

There are alternatives.

They're just rubbish is all.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cezdeville View Post

cheers,
    cezy
    Blackberry and Palm have phones that are pretty much side-grades to the iPhone, and there are many touchscreen style phones coming out in the not to distant future from pretty much every mobile company.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would consider blackberry and palm to be for business use rather than someones personal mobile.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLORDevil View Post
    Tell me a case where someone was prosecuted with evidence from AT&T. Please.
    That's not the point. It's in violation of our 4th Amendment and it's illegal and creates massive potential for abuse. Sorry, I value my privacy very much and most others should as well, IMHO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    I personally would really like one...

Just not with AT&T.

If you're going with a pricey service, why not throw in a quality one as well, such as Verizon? At least they'd have customer support, and tout it as their number #1 phone. Ever see an AT&T commercial for the iPhone, other than the Apple-made ones? No? Hmmm...
    Now if only Verizon and Google would play nice so I can get myself a Google Android running on a HTC Dream phone by Christmas.

It'd probably help if Google wasn't being a jerk about how it's treating its devs at the moment too.

Beans

Well, I don't mind having a seperate device to make calls (aka a 'free' phone). And then having a portable computer to play with. That is why I said there are better devices. I am not aware of a better device that has a phone and a computer in one.
    TWIBS: This Week in BS:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TWIBS

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by wrtpeeps View Post
    I would consider blackberry and palm to be for business use rather than someones personal mobile.
    What features make the difference here? Because I do the same thing with my Blackberry that I'd do with an iPhone.

Beans

I have a first gen iPhone (was a gift) and I love it. On no other phone can you get such a slick interface. Plus it is the only phone that browsing the web on it didn't make me want to quit after a minute or two. I can view all of my favorite pages how they are meant to be seen.

That said I think the iPhone 3G is a weak upgrade. I will wait until the iPhone can do stereo bluetooth and has a higher megapixel camera before I replace mine. Also I must say that future iPhones need more space. 8 or 16 GB is a pathetic amount of space for a geek. I don't even bother pretending to use it as an iPod (got a 40gb one for that). I have one movie and one TV show I encoded on there to show it off and the most recent album I am listening too. A 32gb or bigger one would start to replace my other digital toys.

But I must say- I would hate to go back to a regular phone. Any spare second where life makes me wait (bank, doctor's office, airport) I pull out my iPhone and read my favorite pieces of the internet. I can't beat the convenience.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Icehuck View Post
    Obviously you haven't seen this picture then. After looking at it, are you really not expecting me and a bunch of people to insult him? I'm not even going to go into the can of worms of how this insults religion.
    How on earth can you '[insult] religion'? Does religion have feelings that can be slighted? What a ridiculous notion.

And people can make fun of RMS all they want, and I do agree that he takes things a little far sometimes, but there's no denying the fact that he has been one of the driving forces behind GNU -- a project of which we, as Ubuntu users, are all beneficiaries of.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast