Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to install Ubuntu on a newly built computer, getting error

Beans

Trying to install Ubuntu on a newly built computer, getting error

I received my parts today from Newegg and now have the hardware end set up. I am trying to install Ubuntu, and after choosing either 'install ubuntu' or 'try ubuntu without any changes to your computer', first the Ubuntu bar happens with the orange bar that goes back and forth. After that, the screen goes black. In a few seconds, a line like this appears at the top:
    Code:
    [184.486406] Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    There is a flashing underscore on the line below that. About 15-20 seconds later, another line appears, same message with a higher number in the brackets. 15-20 seconds later, a third line appears under those two, with a larger number within the brackets. This continues indefinitely.

The message is kind of self-explanatory, but is not very helpful as far as what to do to fix the problem. The same thing happens for attempts at both 32-bit installation and 64-bit installation. It is not the Ubuntu cd, because I know that my 32-bit one works.

The computer has an Intel Q9450 processor, Asus P5Q motherboard, 2 Seagate HDs (640 and 250 gig), 2 disk drives, and so on. I have tried using both disk drives, and have set both hard drives as primary and retried. Same problem.

I can't make any sense of it since everything is detected in the BIOS.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated; I just want to get things working on my first desktop build.

Beans

Re: Trying to install Ubuntu on a newly built computer, getting error

check here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=461599

it seems to be a bug with not having a floppy installed but the BIOS thinking you have one.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Check the BIOS and put floppy boot down the list a bit as "fd0" is referring to a floppy drive I think.

EDIT: Check above post
    Linux User: #470695 | Ubuntu User: #21844
    Desktop: i7-4790, 16GB RAM, Radeon R9-290X (Windows)
    Work Laptop: Dell E6540, Ubuntu Gnome 16.04, i7-4810MQ, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD 8790M
    Server: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Linode 4GB.

Beans

slightly faster fingers and searching
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans

Alright! Now we're getting somewhere; thank you very much.

BUT

Now, after the orange bar that goes back and forth, I end up in a command line. it says:
    Code:
    BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
    Entering help just gives a list of commands like ls, cd, mount, etc.

This is from selecting either 'install' or 'try ubuntu'. Maybe it's a 64-bit thing?

Any ideas?

Beans

what did you get for a video card for this machine and which install were you trying? (32bit or 64?)

Beans

The vid card is a GeForce 9800. Do I have to install a driver for it somehow? I just tried putting in the driver disk, but it can't be booted from. So how can I install a driver needed to install the OS without the OS?

And I am trying to install 64-bit.

Beans

when you are booting, there should be a safe mode option, try selecting that and see if you can get it to boot. We can install the drivers later if need be.

Beans

Alright, at the menu I hit F4 (modes) and chose 'safe graphics mode'. Selecting 'try ubuntu' and 'install' still both go to that command line, though.

Thank you for your help with this, Halitech. I'll be extremely happy to get this up and running.

Beans

going to go out on a limb here, how do you have your drives hooked up? Is your cd/dvd on a cable by itself or is it hooked up with another drive on the same cable?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast