3 42.86%
  • I might want something else...

0 0%

Thread: TechCrush's Cheap Internet Device

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking TechCrush's Cheap Internet Device

So I was out surfing the net and I saw a story on slashdot about TechCruch wanting to make a inexpensive open source (as in software and hardware) Internet table. Quote from the article:
    The idea is to turn it on, bypass any desktop interface, and go directly to Firefox running in a modified Kiosk mode that effectively turns the browser into the operating system for the device. Add Gears for offline syncing of Google docs, email, etc., and Skype for communication and you have a machine that will be almost as useful as a desktop but cheaper and more portable than any laptop or tablet PC.
    This sounds like a very good idea, and I would be willing to buy one if not two. I also think Ubuntu's MID edition would go very well with it. What do you guys think?
    Yeah I know pirated copy of XP is free, but so is Ubuntu and it's LEGAL!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: TechCrush's Cheap Internet Device

I think the market will soon be flooded with all manner of portable devices.

Mandriva are involved in a new one: http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/v...fo?language=en

Beans

Re: TechCrush's Cheap Internet Device

That thing's probably intended for a different audience than myself, but I'll still be holding out for the Pandora.