Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you learn to program

Beans

Re: How did you learn to program

INITIAL EXPOSURE:
    I first learned how to program by going through the Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days book. It's a decent book.. enough to provide a good intro to software dev. a degree is nice, but with the right books and some discipline, you can do it on your own. i do agree with the others that if you want to learn on your own, you need to decide on what you want to do first. also, study some data structures and some algorithms when you're comfortable programming the basics.

SCHOOL:
    studied computer science in college. my uni did mostly java, with courses also doing projects in other languages like c, c++, perl, and others like lisp, prolog and assembly. for some web projects, we used tools like j2ee and advanced server pages. my personal favorite language is java. it's obj oriented, relatively easy to use and basically cross-platform. imho, all schools should at cover memory management using C and C++. many companies develop in C and C++. no curriculum should deprive their students of this knowledge. in order to teach CS concepts like algorithms, however, i think java is a great choice.

GUI:
    here's another reason i like java. for the gui, java developers can now use sun's Netbeans IDE with its Matisse gui designer. it got great accolades. or, if you don't mind doing some stuff manually you can use JGoodies to create nice interfaces for multiple platforms. python also sounds like a great language. i believe you can do web apps with ease or standalone apps w/ other libraries. imho, Visual Studio is too MS-centric.

GAME DEV:
    study lots of math. also take any related courses like computer graphics.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I really started programming with C. I had messed around with QBasic and VisualBasic 6 before that, but I didn't get that serious into those.

C is great because it's small--it's a bitch, however, because it's hard to do things. You need to find lots of libraries, but luckily there are a lot.

C++ is... well, I hate C++. Mostly the syntax.

D, however, is a much better language than C++. It's not very common, though. Not as many libraries. If D could be compiled as a .NET language... oh, only if.

Java... well, I just don't get Java. It has an alright syntax, but I have an aversion to it for some reason.

C# is nice; better than Java, anyways.

Perl is just, well, odd. Perl 6 looks like it will be MUCH better, and when it's released I might re-look at it.

PHP is nice for web programming. What else is there to say? It's like an easier C in many ways.

I recently found Python, and I think I'm falling in love. I haven't used it much yet, but what I have done has been enjoyable.

JavaScript is a much-overlooked scripting language. Although it's only used on the web, I think it could be a great general-purpose scripting language. I'm working on a project, MyScript, which I hope will someday extend JavaScript enough to be used in many different situations.

Anyways, I suggest learning C first. Save OOP for later; focus on good coding first. After that, just start familiarizing yourself with as many languages as possible.

Beans

Although it makes no sense to answer this post after 300 others, I have to.

I read an article on astalavista couple of years ago that said you should first learn python and then progress to more complex languages, if you need. I thought something like 'Bah! I'm not gonna waste my time on some petty, intro, simple, non-powerfull languages! On to the C++!'
    And I made a mistake.

I thought most languages have syntax based on that of C, so... Not clever.

Most common languages used today do have very similar syntax, and not only syntax. Variables, functions, loops, classes... are all found in JavaScript, PHP, Java, C#, C/C++... So, by learning a simple language first, you are also learning a more complex language, breaking a complex problem into simpler ones. Programmers do that often

Start with javascript . Seriously.
    Last edited by mehaga; June 18th, 2006 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hi im also one of the many who wants to learn how to program i have a little programming backgrounds in pascal and c/c++ and also VB but only basics, yes just basics now i wanted to enrich my programming skills and i chose to learn python. i would like to ask some help on how i could install python on my ubuntu box and some guides or tuts on python. thanks alot.
    2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad Q666 256MB Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 500GB SATA II 2GB DDR2

Registered Linux user #419660

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I learn to program basic when I was about 11. I taught myself html by taking apart the source code of existing websites. I learnt some VB with borland, then was taught some VB and C++ at uni for 6 months (very basic stuff!)

I build on my knowledge by making things that I needed. I built a website by installing phpnuke and then changing all the code as I began to understand how it worked. I changed my site to suit my needs.

I built mp3 tagging software because I couldn't fine one to batch edit files with enough user configuration (VB.net).

From here, I branched out into javascript, some VBS, xml, sql and other associated code. I guess I'm more into webcode that any hardcore stuff. I had a go at C# but this all takes a lot of time. I like to dabble!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've only been really programming for about 9 months (all of my senior year of high school). The AP Comp Sci exam now covers Java so that is what I know. I'm expanding in C, PHP and Python right now.

I really like Python because when I writing something, I don't need to "prepare" to actually get something done. Meaning, as soon as I start writing, I'm writing that actually does something. That's a great feeling.

PHP is fun. I really like creating small web apps. I'm thinking about going into web development.

C I've probably spent the least time on. Honestly, I'm only learning it because everyone says you have to know it to be a good programmer. I don't really use it though.

Beans

Not to date myself ... but I remember my first program (and not it was not 'Hello world') it has been a long time, so I may screw this up ....

10 REM my first program
    20 print '<my name here>'
    30 goto 20

But from basic, I actually taught myself programming technique via Pascal. I took some C / C++ in college, but got out of programming when 2 things happened:

1. The CS dept at my school wanted me to take COBOL (now I kind of wish I had)
    2. Windows95 disgusted me and I stopped messing with computer for a good 4 - 5 years).

When I finally got back into computers, I taught myself a few languages including Perl, Java, Visual Basic, BASH scripting, VBScript, C#, and some Python.

I would like to get into Python more, as well as look at Ruby. I would also like to dust off some of the C that I learned 10 years ago, but the correct project has not presented itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Haha! My first wasn't Hello World either...

Well, I had my very first contact with C programming in the 4-hour class when we, never having programmed before and having had classes about... uuh the most I remember is that the RAM looked like a red chocolate bar on the slideshow, and having asked everyhting about a piece of code and what the /n, the %d meant on the printf().

So, my first program (of the 4 we had to do on those four hours) was:

Quote Originally Posted by My crazy teacher
    Consider the succession x(n+1)=1-cos²(μx) using as initial value x(0)=0.75.

a) Calculate the first 100 iterations with μ=0.5, μ=2.0 and μ=8.0;

b) Using a plotting program like Excel or GNUPlot make the graphic convergence of the function for μ between [0,8]
    Of course we took decades to realize that what he wanted was three graphics for μ .5, 2 and 8.

Fact is, three months later I was programming like I would never dream three months ago. But those first three weeks determined who would pass and who would fail. I got an 18 (of of 20) but could have gone either way.

Hehe, welcome to IST

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello. This year has been weird for me. (2005-2006) In 2005 i learned of Linux as well as Programming. I started to learn Java but I couldnt because I had trouble with school then I tried C but finals came after I tried Ruby and Perl and I instantlyfellin love with Perl (I heard Perl is supposedly the oddest looking language, but I dont see it) and that drove me forward. I also love Ruby and I am looking at Python. However, I have to say I am thinking of going back to C because my C book didnt explain the terminal at all but the Perl book does.

One last thing doing that little run through languages got me familiar with the theories behind it and I think it will help me in the long run. To bad it will all be ruined in 10th grade where my AOIT (Academy of Information Technology) class, which deals with mostly windows, has to learn Visual Basic and is working on a .NET program. I heard horror stories about Visual Basic (not .NET from what I can tell .NET is pretty good).

Also I would like to ask a question. I am looking into GUI design (do note I use OSX not Windows and when I am not using OS X I am using UBUNTU) and I have Glade. What should I do? How do I make a GUI app?

Beans

I started studying various languages on my own through books and tutorials. This layed down for me a good foundation. I was introduced to basic concepts and got to see different types of implementation for them.

I then took a VB class in high school, which was a mistake. The next year I took an honors C++ course and had the time of my life, due to a great teacher and excellent, practical assigments/examples. This past year I took AP Java (with the same teacher I had had for C++) and learned so very much. I loved it.

I'm now studying Python (and playing with Ruby) on my own, and the way I'm going about it is working quite well. I use a simple tool that everyone knows how to use: Google. I've just been searching for 'Python tutorial' or 'Python [concept]' if I hit something confusing. There's so much information out there! If you're interested in programming, read as much as you can on the web. Read tutorials, join forums, etc. The Internet is such a vast resource.

A tip: There's a reason it's called code. Use descriptive method/variable names. Comment confusing lines. Use indentation properly. Make it readable!
    Blog
    Praise "Bob."

Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast