Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot from external usb DVD Drive with REFIT?

Beans

Boot from external usb DVD Drive with REFIT?

Can you Boot from external usb DVD Drive with REFIT?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Boot from external usb DVD Drive with REFIT?

you should be able to without refit even.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Well I wouldn't be asking here if it worked!

I did try to hit the "c" key during the boot. But it does not seem to see my external DVD drive.

When the piece of junk apple DVD-RW used to work REFIT would see the Linux cd's and they would show up in the REFIT menu.

After having a heart attack when I heard how much the Apple DVD-RW drive would be I bought an external drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by felixdzerzhinsky View Post
    Well I wouldn't be asking here if it worked!
    If you are having a problem, maybe you should try asking about the problem and describe the issue you are having instead of asking some generic boot question. The answer to your question is 'yes', the extended answer is, 'you don't even need refit'. You never said anything about having tried, what you tried, and what failed.

So, I assume that you have tried this now, and you do not see the Disc in the rEFIt menu?

Beans

I should have been more clear. Yes I have tried "c" after the chimes and there is no cd image in the Refit boot menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried holding the "alt" key at boot? This is how you can select boot drives (including external USB) on a Mac usually...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    Have you tried holding the "alt" key at boot? This is how you can select boot drives (including external USB) on a Mac usually...
    Yes, I would also try that.

You should also verify that the disc is even bootable in another machine.

Beans

I have now tied the above. It did not work. I am wondering if the answer may be in this post:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=404282

From the post:
    Holding down various buttons during booting got me nothing but a the little question-mark-o-doom. But, I did manage to boot from the USB cd. I had to override the built-in firmware device alias for 'cd' and point it to the USB device:

Hold down CTRL+OPTION+O+F, hit power button, get a firmware prompt.
    0> devalias cd /pci@f2000000/usb@19/disk@1
    0> boot cd,\\:tbxi

Sadly, I haven't yet figured out how to permanently change the cd alias - whenver the system reboots, it comes back as the original alias pointing to the device that doesn't work.

What's more - none of the Apple CDs want to boot from the USB drive. But, I've got Debian Linux up and running for the moment.
    I'm a bit unsure of how to list my DVD drives under OSX. I suspect that REFIT may be looking at my old DVD drive and just needs to be pointed to the new external drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Your answer surprises me! The OP is talking about an external drive, not the onboard drive. Now, you must know that booting from an external drive will only work if that drive is "blessed". An external USB or FW drive with another version of Mac OS X on it will boot from an external drive (as the Mac OS X reinstall DVD does). A "legacy OS" (like Windows or, indeed, GNU/Linux) will not, unless that drive was somehow blessed; it needs a GUID partition table and an EFI first partition, and must have gone through the blessing procedure... the problem is well-known to people wishing to boot GNU/Linux on a MacIntel machine from a USB-key.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hajk View Post
    Your answer surprises me! The OP is talking about an external drive, not the onboard drive. Now, you must know that booting from an external drive will only work if that drive is "blessed". An external USB or FW drive with another version of Mac OS X on it will boot from an external drive (as the Mac OS X reinstall DVD does). A "legacy OS" (like Windows or, indeed, GNU/Linux) will not, unless that drive was somehow blessed; it needs a GUID partition table and an EFI first partition, and must have gone through the blessing procedure... the problem is well-known to people wishing to boot GNU/Linux on a MacIntel machine from a USB-key.
    From my experience, Booting from external CD/DVDROM drives works... It is booting from an "installation" that does not work. I admit that I could be wrong though, and if I am, I apologize.

Also, are you saying that you CAN boot an installed system from USB if you bless the drive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast