Thread: How should I partition my Hard Drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How should I partition my Hard Drive?

I am reinstalling Ubuntu after trashing it yesterday for Arch that I can't get to work(yes I gave up already). I did like that it set up different partitions for /, /home, /swap, and /temp which I liked. So I was wondering how I divide up the space on my 76 GB hard drive? Also I have 512 MB of Ram.

Thank-you very much,
    Nicol Bolas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How should I partition my Hard Drive?

I usually dont bother with the /temp partition. I do it something like this.

swap = double the amount of RAM = 1 GB
    / = 6 GB I err on the side of caution since I hate having to go and repartition things. Currently I am using half of that and I have a fair amount of crap installed.
    /home = everything that is left = 69 GB
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    i usually dont bother with the /temp partition. I do it something like this.

Swap = double the amount of ram = 1 gb
    / = 6 gb i err on the side of caution since i hate having to go and repartition things. Currently i am using half of that and i have a fair amount of crap installed.
    /home = everything that is left = 69 gb
    +1

swap = double the amount of RAM = 1 GB
    / = 6 GB I err on the side of caution since I hate having to go and repartition things. Currently I am using half of that and I have a fair amount of crap installed.
    /home = everything that is left = 69 GB
    I would make / 8 - 10 GBs.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Is this a server or a desktop? If it's a desktop, I'd have a much bigger / partition - maybe even 20Gb, because it gets large over a period of time, as you install more and more software.

I'd also recommend using LVM, so that you can adjust the sizes of your partitions should you need to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pdwerryhouse View Post
    Is this a server or a desktop? If it's a desktop, I'd have a much bigger / partition - maybe even 20Gb, because it gets large over a period of time, as you install more and more software.

I'd also recommend using LVM, so that you can adjust the sizes of your partitions should you need to.
    It is a home computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I disagree on the 10-20 GB for / -- that just seems excessive considering a separate /home. I've got Ubuntu Studio x64 8.04 installed (everything except the graphics pkgs), and a fair amount of crap installed, but I'm only using 5.4 gb out of 6.7 gb--and that's counting the debs stored in /var/cache/apt/archives.

You've only got limited disk space so I'd go with ~ 6-8 range max for /. (unless you're going to put just gobs of apps on it)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

a fresh install of ubuntu will run you 5+ gb of space, so anything 6+ is fine due to your limited hd space. and like the others said dont bother with the /temp just a waste of a partition (but ppl say the same thing about having a /boot partition, which i have) and double for swap

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well I am going with 7 GB for /
    1 GB for /swap
    and the rest for /home

Thank-you for your help,
    Nicol Bolas