Thread: Eye of Gnome and gthumb default image viewer for hardy

Beans

Eye of Gnome and gthumb default image viewer for hardy

hi im a total linux newbie and enjoy being 100percent linux for the last several days...

eye of gnome is a simple image viewer which i assume is default for ubuntu aka hardy build

it will not open gif images... why not??

so i downloaded gthumb image viewer and they are almost twins, but this one allows me to view my gif images

any reason why eye of gnome doesnt?

and whoever is reading this what is your default image viewer?

lastly, how would i change gthumb as my default image viewer or is that not a good idea listening to all suggestions !

thanks
    -nycste

Beans

Re: Eye of Gnome and gthumb default image viewer for hardy

My Favorite image program is Fspot. To a different prgram your default, right click on the file and select "Properties." Then go to the "Open With" tab and pick what you want.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy View Post
    My Favorite image program is Fspot. To a different prgram your default, right click on the file and select "Properties." Then go to the "Open With" tab and pick what you want.
    thanks for sharing, but your favorite image program doesnt even view gif images, so what would you use to view these as just one simple example

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

gthumb doesn't see gimp xcf files either. I use showFoto. It's in synaptic. It's a kde app but it will run in gnome.
    The How-To-Geek http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/ubuntu/ubuntu-tips/

The final and most influential thing anyone will ever teach you is to be independent of the influence of others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman9 View Post
    gthumb doesn't see gimp xcf files either. I use showFoto. It's in synaptic. It's a kde app but it will run in gnome.
    oo thats good to know, ill check it out thanks

hopefully more share their opinions and comments

well after testin showfoto once or twice, every photo you open wtih you opens a new instance of showfoto? i assume thats changeable or something... otherwise would make it not so fun to view many files

and that splash screen is fun haha not! either way thx
    Last edited by nycste; July 23rd, 2008 at 05:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

With showfhoto you want to use it to open a folder. Then it will show you all the picx in that folder in the left frame. In the right frame it shows all the info about a pic when you click on a pic and it has some special effects that even gimp doesn't have.
    The How-To-Geek http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/ubuntu/ubuntu-tips/

The final and most influential thing anyone will ever teach you is to be independent of the influence of others.