Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Window Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Unhappy Re: A new Window Manager

Hi everybody!

Over the last 5 days, I have done nothing but try to install various packages that are required to run backstep or pywm. I've screwed up my computer so badly that I'm currently reinstalling Xubuntu!

For some reason, backstep fails to recognize any of the installed packages, and I've spent the last week trying to upgrade them, and I've done nothing but break things. Could someone help me?
    I think the problem is that pkg-config isn't installed with Xubuntu, so none of the .pc files are created to identify that the packages are indeed there. Does anyone know how I can make it search for packages and generate them? I know almost all the versions that come with my distro are correct, because the packages I'm trying to use are at least a couple of years abandoned.

Please help!

SphereCat1
    Hey, look! It's a signature!
    Registered Linux User #477552 : Registered Ubuntu User #23700
    -
    Running Dapper 6.06.2 on a PowerBook G3 Pismo (And lovin' it!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Talking Re: A new Window Manager

Alright, lots going on! I'm still waiting for a replay on how to get everything to work, but I think I may have figured it out. I'll let you know as soon as I make some progress.

As far as the new design preview goes, I've pretty much finished it, but my jump drive just died, so I'm having some difficulty getting it down here to my internet computer. I just dug up a floppy disk, so I'll have it down here today! You're gonna love it. I promise.

SphereCat1
    -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Wooooo! Here's the long-awaited complete concept drawing:

This is a link to a pretty picture.

Click it! Click it! Click it!

[Bows] Thank you, thank you! [Bows again]

Anyway, here's a quick play-by-play:
    - Notice the minimized window laying at the front of the table. (Slightly off-axis, I'll work on that later.)
    - The two boxes in the middle of the screen can be used for storing just about anything. The one on the left is holding the stuff for a project, and the one on the right is set to show recent documents. (Hence the recent documents icon.)
    - The icons that float on either side can be configured too, the left is showing drives with the text set to be on the right, and the right side is a sort of system tray. It order on the right: My logo, Trash (with the document count!), Help (glows when there's a tip), and a printer. (it's emblem is supposed to be a clock, i didn't have a clock icon.)

Also, none of these icons are the ones it'll come with, they were on my computer and I liked the style. I'm creating some that are almost the same.

Post lots of ideas!
    SphereCat1
    Last edited by SphereCat1; August 11th, 2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: had to fix the link
    -

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: A new Window Manager

I still don't see a basic menu bar. Is it a right click menu, or what? This is all very well and good, but I would like a simple menu to find my things, then a cool layout to display them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Well, I haven't decided what my logo does, maybe it can open a menu!
    -

Beans
    Distro

Perfect. That is exactly what I'd need. I'm all up for shifting the paradigm, but some things just work and work right, you know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Mornin, I've got a great idea! A while ago, I remember seeing a preview of a new feature in Windows 7 for touchscreens, a little circular menu that would appear wherever your finger was.

What if we changed that idea slightly so that it would appear around your mouse when you right click? A round menu would be faster to navigate, since you'd just have to make a quick move in any direction to reach any of the menus, instead for moving along a bar. After you picked one, it could unroll into a submenu, or something like that.

I'll post a quick drawing later. (And maybe learn how to spell quick on the first try.)
    SphereCat1
    -

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SphereCat1 View Post
    Mornin, I've got a great idea! A while ago, I remember seeing a preview of a new feature in Windows 7 for touchscreens, a little circular menu that would appear wherever your finger was.

What if we changed that idea slightly so that it would appear around your mouse when you right click? A round menu would be faster to navigate, since you'd just have to make a quick move in any direction to reach any of the menus, instead for moving along a bar. After you picked one, it could unroll into a submenu, or something like that.

I'll post a quick drawing later. (And maybe learn how to spell quick on the first try.)
    SphereCat1
    If you can do it, your window manager will be amazing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Alright, everybody, I'm making a plea for help. I don't have internet on the computer I'm running Ubuntu on, and I've spent almost two weeks trying to get the right packages installed.

I'm trying to install backstep, and every time I do ./configure, it says gtk is not installed. Do I need the -dev version too? I've tried to install it, but the version in the repositories is newer than the normal gtk+ that came with dapper. What do I need to do to upgrade or find the older dev package?

Thanks,
    SphereCat1
    -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Never mind, Never mind!!! Cancel my last request! Everything is solved!

I've connected my Ubuntu machine to the internet temporarily, and I'm writing this post as half of my computer is upgraded!

WoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo ooooooot!

SphereCat1
    -

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast