Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Window Manager

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A new Window Manager

Let me know which version of FVWM you decide to work with. Sometimes the latest is not the best. I'll do some research.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I have downloaded the latest version, it's not stable, but it has a LOT of new features. I've started reading through the code to get a general idea of the workings, but I wish I had my C books with me. At least it's well commented.

I'm also running whatever version was in the dapper repositories right now, and I'm messing with the configuration. It's really easy to work with the files, we need to keep that for our version. Probably a graphical configuration interface, too.

I'll try to get at least one more update up before I leave here.
    SphereCat1

P.S.: I've read 3 of the six tutorials you linked to, I've downloaded them as PDFs, they've been awesome! Thanks so much!
    Hey, look! It's a signature!
    Registered Linux User #477552 : Registered Ubuntu User #23700
    -
    Running Dapper 6.06.2 on a PowerBook G3 Pismo (And lovin' it!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SphereCat1 View Post
    I have downloaded the latest version, it's not stable, but it has a LOT of new features. I've started reading through the code to get a general idea of the workings, but I wish I had my C books with me. At least it's well commented.

I'm also running whatever version was in the dapper repositories right now, and I'm messing with the configuration. It's really easy to work with the files, we need to keep that for our version. Probably a graphical configuration interface, too.

I'll try to get at least one more update up before I leave here.
    SphereCat1

P.S.: I've read 3 of the six tutorials you linked to, I've downloaded them as PDFs, they've been awesome! Thanks so much!
    I suggest the 2.4.20 or 2.4.0 release to work off of. It's been a while since I've worked with FVWM myself and am in the process of installing/configuring at the moment myself. I think we can work out an interface to easily modify those files, similar to fluxconf or obconf. The code is relatively well commented as far as window managers go, so that will be a major help.

The xlib tutorials were indispensable to me with my other WM work. I'm glad to pass on the knowledge.

I'm doing some research and comparison on versions thanks to Giles Orr's great website. I'll let you know what my benchmarks of the various versions are as I get things worked out.

Also, before you leave or while you're gone it may be worthwhile to work out a list of "Project Goals", so we don't become just another DE/WM project. What will make TWiMU different, possibly better than other environments? Are we aiming for a balanced usage or one leaning more toward usability or speed? How much bloat are we willing to add with the creation of the full DE? These are just a few questions I've thought of the past day or so and will probably post more as time goes on. It may be worthwhile to set up a developer mailing list over on SF to aid this process as more people join the team.

Okay, I think that's all I have for now.

Beans

Wow, lots of replies! I'll be back in the morning, the bird idea gave ME an idea.

SphereCat1
    I also like the bird idea. When I think of TWiMu, I think of "tweet" (the sound a bird makes)) and also "Emu" (a type of bird). I'll be interested to see what you come up with!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    Also, before you leave or while you're gone it may be worthwhile to work out a list of "Project Goals", so we don't become just another DE/WM project. What will make TWiMU different, possibly better than other environments? Are we aiming for a balanced usage or one leaning more toward usability or speed? How much bloat are we willing to add with the creation of the full DE? These are just a few questions I've thought of the past day or so and will probably post more as time goes on. It may be worthwhile to set up a developer mailing list over on SF to aid this process as more people join the team.
    Good point, seeing as many are getting ahead of themselves, in working more on the overall package, then what this actually does.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbogardus View Post
    Good point, seeing as many are getting ahead of themselves, in working more on the overall package, then what this actually does.
    I think I'm full of good points most days. I think SphereCat1, myself, and a couple others have a good grasp on the answers to my questions, I just think it would be good to write them down in an organized, easy-to-follow, easy-to-understand fashion.

After some testing I'm leaning more toward the 1.24r version of FVWM if you decide against Crystal. Of the 2.x branch, I see 2.4.20 as the more promising release.

I have some more interesting ideas involving the table, background/wallpaper, use of icons, etc when we finally get some of those questions from my last post answered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi everybody, I'm officially back to the lab! (den.)

I'll work on a first draft of features and goals, that's a really good idea. Also, I've almost finished the tutorials, now I just have to learn C! Luckily, it IS well commented.

d0nut: Someone else I know mentioned an Emu, but they aren't an extremely good looking bird...

As far as versions, I'm currently running 2.5.14, it hasn't crashed once. Has a couple bugs, but otherwise it's pretty good. What are your reasons for 1.24? Just curious. Maybe an older version would be more flexible?

I'll get the first (very) rough draft up ASAP!
    SphereCat1

P.S.: I went to my first Apple Store today! One word: SHINY!!!
    Hey, look! It's a signature!
    Registered Linux User #477552 : Registered Ubuntu User #23700
    -
    Running Dapper 6.06.2 on a PowerBook G3 Pismo (And lovin' it!)

Beans

P.S.: I went to my first Apple Store today! One word: SHINY!!!
    Yes, they have very good looking products. The store is well-designed too. On this project, I do not know C or anything like that, so I probably would not be much help in that department, but I would like to test your SVN releases and betas and such, so I am here for that. I also have a friend who is a phenomenal artist, he can draw anything more perfect than perfect. If you would like any sort of artwork, let me know, and I will see what I can do. Cheers!
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

SphereCat1, glad you're back.

My reasoning for 1.24r would be it is more minimal. In theory this works better as a base to expand upon and can probably support some of the additions made in the 2.x releases if we would wish. Also, it the last version released by the originator of FVWM(1).

Giles Orr has an interesting article on the 2.x series of FVWM that I think is worthwhile. There are some interesting aspects of FVWM(2) that I would think very appropriate for this project. The article is available HERE. Also, while you're there it may not be a bad time to check out more of the WM history, etc. Also, a general WM review including both tracks of FVWM is available at freshmeat HERE.

I'd be interested in a full FVWM Wiki, which might not be a bad idea to include on the SF site. I could definitely help this this aspect.

Also as far as C goes, I'm trying to dig up some old tutorial I had to post here or send you. I'm fairly proficient with C, though it's been a while since I've done major development, especially on a project of this magnitude. Hit me up for advice and assistance.

I think that's about it for now. Oh, and be expecting a request on SF to add me (nql) to the team within the next day or so.

Beans

i'm also quite interested in your idea.
    anything a new desktop manager is an innovative yet chanllenging job,where more people should join in.
    my email: skyreeds@gmail.com

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast