Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removed XP hdd from double boot and now Ubuntu won't start

Beans

Removed XP hdd from double boot and now Ubuntu won't start

Hello,

I have been running double boot Xp and Ubuntu on separate drives. Now I want to remove the XP drive to use it on another PC. When I disconnect the XP drive the system will not boot to Ubuntu. I have tried to remove the XP drive, boot from LIVE CD and restore GRUB using

Code:
     sudo grub
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    root (hd0,0)
    setup (hdo)
    quit
    but this changed nothing. I spent 4 hours searching for a solution on the net but no success. Please help.

thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Removed XP hdd from double boot and now Ubuntu won't start

Are you sure you took out the correct drive? Did your computer come with 2 HDs in it if so this is probably a BIOS change you have to make. When starting your computer the BIOS is up for like 3 seconds press F2 (or whichever the screen says ) during that time and you will be able to do a bunch of stuff. Look around for where it tells you about your hardware and see if it recognizes a hard drive in your computer. If it dosent (I dont expect it to) you will have to take out the other hard drive and change the jumper (small little thing that connects a few pins and tells the hard drive if it is master, slave, or cable select) You will want to move this one to master for one drive systems (or just master) (it is probably slave now) Then put the drive back in your computer (make sure its at the master spot on the cable) and boot it up.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Removed XP hdd from double boot and now Ubuntu won't start

Just run grub again so it will see only the one drive and correctly allow you to boot again.

Whan you remove an Operating System, Grub needs to be updated so it's not stuck looking for something that isn't there.

This may not be totally correct, but every time I remove an OS I update Grub.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think what happened was that he has a windows drive as the primary drive and ubuntu as secondary. When he removed windows xp drive, his boot partition was removed along with it. Ubuntu drive has no boot up at all.

I recommend you use the ubuntu drive as the primary drive next time. If you want to reinstall, boot up from the cd install

mannual partition

you will see 2 ext3 and one swap basically 3 partitions.

usually the

1 is ext3 so format this one and use / as root
    2 is swap so leave alone
    3 is ext3 (partition that was originaly used as home so make sure it was ext3 and nothing else)so use /home and do not format (make sure you select ext3 and do not format or the original home partition)

use your original username and password too!

when it installs, it will format root partition and leave home alone but make sure your home is home or you will accidently fail. all your settings and info are saved but not sure how evolution works yet in restoring that is if you use this.

Beans

sorry, I think a little more info is needed about my system. I assembled the system my self and am pretty good at understanding bios and jumpers...My set up is Ubuntu master, XP slave. Xp was installed first then Ubuntu and Grub recognized XP with no problem, so my system was running perfectly. By looking at the portion of my GRUB/Menu.lst file I posted below you will see that GRUB is actually installed on my Linux drive. But it also installs something on the XP drive so at boot up it looks for both partitions (at least this is how I understand it). It even has a very hard time booting from LIVE CD when I disconnect the XP drive. I know I have to somehow reinstall or update GRUB, or remove the the part that points grub to my windows partition, but I have no idea how to do it. Here is my GRUB/menu.lst

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=ebb9b1b3-fb43-4b5c-b76a-b0db95228b8e ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=ebb9b1b3-fb43-4b5c-b76a-b0db95228b8e ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title Other operating systems:
    root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/hdb1
    title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

the mapping:

map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)

is specific to my configuration, and somehow I need to have grub to be looking only for hd0, but have no idea how to do it.

Please if you tell me to update or something like this be more detailed. At least point me to what you mean, and how to approach it.

Thank you all for the very prompt reply to my problem
    Last edited by 14niki07; July 21st, 2008 at 07:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What kind of error messages are you getting when you try to boot into Ubuntu from grub?

Added: Since you installed Ubuntu after XP, you probably have entries in fstab for the partitions on your Windows drive. You can use the live cd to mount your root partition and comment out(place a # in front of) any fstab entries for partitions on your Windows drive.

You can determine your root partition by:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    -l is a lowercase "L"

Then to mount your root partition:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/ubuntu
    sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /media/ubuntu
    replace sda1 with your root partition, then to edit fstab:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /media/ubuntu/etc/fstab
    just place a # in front of any Windows drive partitions mounted in fstab. quit & save.
    Last edited by confused57; July 21st, 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

do what the guy above says. post error code

when I remove my xp drive, i can still boot into my ubuntu no problems. Please post your error code. ill be on later tonight so you wont get any replies from me but there are plenty of heads here who can help can't wait to see what really caused the problem.

Beans

it gives me

DISC BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Does grub complain when it cant find all of its OSs. Thats my best guess, just reinstall GRUB.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Beans

I also suspected there is something written in the fstab but did not know how to deal with it. I will try your suggestion now.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast