Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kubuntu Orange/Black

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Kubuntu Orange/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Retj View Post
    They are not quite Ubuntu derivative, because they share the same core. It is like you called OpenSuse KDE a derivative of Opensuse. They are (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu) de same distribution. They're all supported by Ubuntu community and Canonical. So this is a way to keep them into family, they dont have the same name, so why not having the same artwork? Kubuntu blue does not share Ubuntu's philosophy abour keeping a 'warm' interface, it does exactly the oposite, a extramely brilliant blue that makes any user un familliar to ubuntu to think that is using another distribution.
    From Wikipedia:

Kubuntu is an official derivative of the Ubuntu Linux distribution using the KDE graphical environment instead of GNOME. It is part of the Ubuntu project and uses the same underlying system. Kubuntu and Ubuntu can work alongside each other by installing the ubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop packages. Every package in Kubuntu shares the same repositories as Ubuntu
    Again, Kubuntu aims to stay more true to KDE and so uses their colors. That is why it was made, and if I remember correctly, the vast majority of work was done by one person, not on Canonical's payroll.

You are correct about OpenSuSE, they have one DVD with different options. That was not the rout Ubuntu decided to take, for what ever reason.

Beans

So, basically, to make this happen, Cannonical should take more serius about Ubuntu derivatives? What you're saying is that Kubuntu is not an Ubuntu KDE version. Its KDE with Ubuntu software. In my opinion they should share either their artwork or their names. Something that reminds any newcomer what Ubuntu is. That Ubuntu is ONE distribution that can be used with several desktop environments. As an example i give you Debian. Debian is Debian, wherther you're using KDE/Xfce/Gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Retj View Post
    So, basically, to make this happen, Cannonical should take more serius about Ubuntu derivatives? What you're saying is that Kubuntu is not an Ubuntu KDE version. Its KDE with Ubuntu software. In my opinion they should share either their artwork or their names. Something that reminds any newcomer what Ubuntu is. That Ubuntu is ONE distribution that can be used with several desktop environments. As an example i give you Debian. Debian is Debian, wherther you're using KDE/Xfce/Gnome.
    That is correct, Debian is Debian. Ubuntu wants to keep things simple, so Ubuntu is Gnome. Someone wanted Ubuntu with KDE and built it. Te was called Kubuntu as it is not Ubuntu. It be came an official derivative. That is why it has its own web site. The point of it is not to be like Ubuntu but to be but to be like KDE. The other sister derivatives are:

[qoute]
    * Edubuntu, a distribution designed for classrooms using GNOME
    * Gobuntu, a free software distribution
    * Kubuntu, a desktop distribution using KDE rather than GNOME
    * Xubuntu, a "lightweight" distribution based on the Xfce desktop environment instead of GNOME
    * Mythbuntu, a distribution that is tied heavily to MythTV
    * Ubuntu Studio, a multimedia-creation form of Ubuntu
    * Ubuntu JeOS (pronounced as "juice"), is described as "an efficient variant ... configured specifically for virtual appliances".
    * Ubuntu Mobile, an Ubuntu edition that targets mobile Internet devices.[98]
    * Ubuntu Netbook Remix,[99] to be released later in 2008,designed for ultra-portables such as the ASUS Eee PC.

- Wikipedia[/quote]

If Ubuntu wanted to have the option of KDE or Gnome there would be no Kubuntu, just Ubuntu. I like this idea better myself for a few reason. First, Ubuntu (and there for the official sisters as well) release dates are based on Gnome's release dates. This is great for constancy. People and businesses do not have to wait in wonder as to when the next version comes out. Second, KDE had random release dates. This makes it hard to use KDE as a base for the main software. Third, the Ubuntu developers do not have to worry about fitting KDE into the mix of things they need to do. They leave that to the Kubuntu developers. Fourth, as what happened with 8.04, if there is a problem with KDE it does not affect the main distribution. KDE has different version, 3.5 and 4.0. 4.0 is not working well enough to offer long term support and 3.5 will not be developed much longer, so long term support is not a good idea for that version either. So, Kubuntu did not get LTS with 8.04. Being separate distributions allowed for that. It is all business. Canonical will need to make money from Ubuntu at some point. Personally, I think there should be a sister version for every desktop manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

By-the-way, don't let all the "politics" stop you from making an Ubuntu themed Kubuntu theme. There are people out there that would enjoy it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12