Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I make an old laptop act as a 2nd screen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Can I make an old laptop act as a 2nd screen?

I think that the only relevant information is that maxivista will run under wine. The brevity with which that is mentioned suggests that it "just works". I'm kind of sceptical though . . .

Beans

I figured ubuntu-ubuntu would be easier to deal with than ubuntu-windows.

I can throw XP on it for sure, but I wouldn't mind keeping ubuntu on it to get a 2nd monitor working.

Beans
    Distro

Then I would pursue the xdmx route. I agree you will probably have fewer headaches keeping it Linux-only. That said, I don't think xdmx will be headache free. The fact that it isn't in hardy is not a good sign.

Beans
    Distro

Reading again more carefully, you do indeed say that the laptop has gutsy on it. Was it on the gutsy laptop that you were unable to find "xdmx", or on an other system using hardy?

"xdm" is not what you're looking for, that's the X display manager (basically a more bare bones version of GDM).

Beans

Hardy = Desktop.
    Gutsy = Laptop.

I simply want the laptop to act as a 2nd monitor. It serves no other purpose and has no potential besides this. So if this could work, it'd be pretty badass. I wonder if there's any other alternative?

Beans
    Distro

Short of pulling out the screen of the laptop and somehow converting the proprietary connection to DVI, i think xdmx is your best bet. You could either a) download and install the xdmx .deb directly and try installing and setting it up b) downgrade the desktop to gutsy, or c) add the gutsy repositories to your sources.list on the desktop so you can get xdmx and downgrade your xserver if necessary. Of course this this last would not be the official way to do things, but it is the way I would do it, then again, I have nerves of steel.

Beans
    Distro

Here's a bug report that suggests it is indeed possible to get things working in hardy. It's also got a few useful links.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/242191

Beans

I was informed about "synergy."

Can I use dual screen with synergy?

Note - My graphics card has VGA + DVI output. DVI is to my 22" widescreen. I was going to use the VGA for the laptop.

Installing i386 Hardy Heron on the laptop now... however the laptop has ZERO network connections. Nothing. Not even a modem connection.

Beans

Aight, screw it. I'm done with the laptop.

New question.

Running a GeForce 6600 256mb. DVI + VGA output.

Running the DVI to a 22 inch LCD widescreen. I had planned on running the VGA to the laptop.

What do ya say we run VGA to a 17 inch CRT I have sitting around? How would I get dual screen configured then when using a regular CRT as the secondary monitor?

edit - I installed the nvidia settings manager. I can get the CRT monitor to respond, but only if it takes over as primary monitor. It leaves my LCD in standby mode. Somehow, it's just not getting the hint that LCD=1, CRT=2.
    Last edited by Roasted; July 23rd, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

You're probably going to have to get an nvidia guru to help you out with that one. Using the nvidia driver is essentially using an entirely different program from the standard xorg. I do however know enough to say that you want to be looking at something called twinview.

Regarding synergy, it will only share the keyboard and mouse. That said, now that I think about it you could have the laptop connect to your main computer via xdmcp and then run synergy between the two xservers. You would not be able to move widows from one screen to the other, but your mouse and keyboard would work on both servers and everything would be running on the desktop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast