Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Beans

Re: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post
    If people don't know an alternative exists,then how and why would they ask?You have to first disseminate the information that an alternative is available and if you are interested,you can contact so-and-so.
    I just mean don't go around saying "Hey, I use Ubuntu!" to everyone you meet, not that we shouldn't tell them at all. Like, for example, a subject on computers comes up, and they are complaining about problems, I sometimes say "Ubuntu may help", but I usually don't' push it past that.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

I used to preach but I certainly don't do that kind of thing anymore. Preaching, to me, involves going on and on about how great Linux is and sort of downplaying or completely ignoring its downsides. Such preaching often results in a "sure, I'll give it a try" from the user, then a "this isn't what I expected" shortly after. In short, preaching tends to raise expectations too high, to a point where reality rarely reaches. So of course people are going to be disappointed.

By this point I don't advocate Linux or even talk about it very much. When people come over my house and need to use the computer for something or other (usually the Internet, of course) they get their first introduction to Linux.Some of them get curious and so I tell them a bit about it, clearly stating the pitfalls and downsides of course. But apparently I have enough positive things to say about Linux to convert at least one of my friends. Hopefully I can snag a few more as time goes on

Beans

So my sister lives 500 miles from me, and calls me about once a week with help with her Windows computer.

She has viruses all the time, she's lost school work because of them, her apps take about a minute to load each, and no, it's not an old laptop.

I've had her install security software, but she just gets so annoyed by them getting in the way that she just turns it off. I don't blame her, I did the same too back on windows, but I didn't have the ugly problems she has because I am careful.

She won't switch to Ubuntu (I would fully set it up for her) because she doesn't want to lose the really cute icons she has on MSN. Can you believe that?! *slaps forehead*

I do feel bad for begging her to install Ubuntu so she doesn't call me every week for about an hour to fix her problems, but what am I to do?

If I ever get a hold of her laptop (maybe this christmas?) I am so installing xubuntu on that box, and she's having no say about it
    Oh, and she won't have the root password, that's for sure. If she needs anything done with sudo, I'll do it for her with remove desktop

Beans
    Hidden!

Once reason I love my laptop: I'm always able to actually SHOW people what I'm always yammering about instead of just talking about it all the time. Helps.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lifestream View Post
    So my sister lives 500 miles from me, and calls me about once a week with help with her Windows computer.

She has viruses all the time, she's lost school work because of them, her apps take about a minute to load each, and no, it's not an old laptop.

I've had her install security software, but she just gets so annoyed by them getting in the way that she just turns it off. I don't blame her, I did the same too back on windows, but I didn't have the ugly problems she has because I am careful.

She won't switch to Ubuntu (I would fully set it up for her) because she doesn't want to lose the really cute icons she has on MSN. Can you believe that?! *slaps forehead*

I do feel bad for begging her to install Ubuntu so she doesn't call me every week for about an hour to fix her problems, but what am I to do?

If I ever get a hold of her laptop (maybe this christmas?) I am so installing xubuntu on that box, and she's having no say about it
    Oh, and she won't have the root password, that's for sure. If she needs anything done with sudo, I'll do it for her with remove desktop

if it supports vista why not install that, virus problem gone oh yeah and live messenger stays there too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    I just mean don't go around saying "Hey, I use Ubuntu!" to everyone you meet, not that we shouldn't tell them at all. Like, for example, a subject on computers comes up, and they are complaining about problems, I sometimes say "Ubuntu may help", but I usually don't' push it past that.
    ah,ok.That's a good clarification.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_snake View Post
    if it supports vista why not install that, virus problem gone oh yeah and live messenger stays there too
    Vista is too expensive for her, and her laptop can barely run XP
    She doesn't like Live Messenger, she likes a third party app.

I wonder about your virus-gone talk. Interesting. *googles*

Beans

Vista is too expensive for her, and her laptop can barely run XP
    She doesn't like Live Messenger, she likes a third party app.

I wonder about your virus-gone talk. Interesting. *googles*
    I didn't mean built in xp live messenger, that isn't there in vista, then latest version you can download is windows live messenger.

As for the virus problem, Vista has user account control which is the same technique for protection unix style OS's use and then there is internet explorer protected mode.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_snake View Post
    Vista has user account control which is the same technique for protection unix style OS's use and then there is internet explorer protected mode.
    Hmmm I already have her using a normal user account, and I replaced her hosts file with one that blocks some bad sites. I think it's called Mike's Hosts File, found on google. I set up IE to protect the best I could, but it seems she gets most of her viruses from her friends via MSN *shrug* ... *sigh*

Beans

Hmmm I already have her using a normal user account, and I replaced her hosts file with one that blocks some bad sites. I think it's called Mike's Hosts File, found on google. I set up IE to protect the best I could, but it seems she gets most of her viruses from her friends via MSN *shrug* ... *sigh*
    internet explorer protected mode is only in vista lol, and is she on limited user on xp?

I suggest you install google chrome for her or at least ask her to try it, its just a browser so no harm in that right? as for messenger tell her to scan the files for viruses at least before opening.

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast