Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Preaching is for when you are trying to reach a large audience. Living it is quite another thing. It is what people see day to day. It is what makes a person, when watching, take notice. Not because you are trying to be noticed but because you are just doing your thing and not stomping on others around you. It is then that they will want to know what makes you different. Then you can tell them about it because they asked.
    Last edited by 73ckn797; October 22nd, 2008 at 01:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    Why would we need that? Is there a reason the 'uninitiated' need to use Linux?
    This is not the place to argue ideologies, but you must be aware that certain dominant players are trying to tie the whole world to their products. They do this with tie-ins such as DRM.

If they do this, there will be certain things that you will not be able to do with Linux like watching official downloadable content.

The way to prevent this is to make Linux a viable alternative OS, and to do this, you need real people, lots of them, using it. Before this can happen, we need commercial software suppliers to write software, and this will not happen until there is a dominant distro so they can minimize their support efforts. Just think how many packaging methods and different ways of organizing files in packages that make it impossible to accurately work out file dependencies across distributions.

I'm not talking the likes of you and I who can take the Open Source stuff and recompile and tweak it. I'm talking software like people need in their day-to-day use. I could really use a UK Customs and Revenue registered payroll program for a small business. Does one exist? Not that I can see (this is the primary reason my laptop dual boots, as even Parallels and Virtual Box struggle to run what I use well).

Watch the shopping channels. Can you get the craft software on Linux. How about the genealogy software? Software to easily rip vinyl to DVD. Software to master DVDs. How about watching Sky Anytime or ITV Online on Linux. Games? Free giveaways on magazine covers? Printer and Camera drivers?

Yes, there is software that can be made to work in many of these cases, but compare the usability. It needs to be written for non-computerate people to use, i.e. easy. If it does not run out-of-the-box, it won't get used a lot, even if it is free.

Ordinary people just want to know it works, and will not accept an OS where they cannot get what they want. And as I have said, the software writers will ignore small Linux distros.

Now. you've got me preaching. Hopefully to the converted.

Keep the faith.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by gatherp View Post
    Now. you've got me preaching. Hopefully to the converted.

Keep the faith.

We are the choir here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Would you define putting up posters enunciating the advantages of GNU/Linux with the aim of holding an installfest also as preaching,smartboyathome?If yes,would you please tell me how it is then possible to mass convert people?Just a question,and not challenging your opinion,as evident from my .sig.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post
    Would you define putting up posters enunciating the advantages of GNU/Linux with the aim of holding an installfest also as preaching,smartboyathome?If yes,would you please tell me how it is then possible to mass convert people?Just a question,and not challenging your opinion,as evident from my .sig.
    No, what I classify as preaching is people who tell everyone they know they use Linux, that those people should to, and exaggerate extensively on how good Linux is in order to get people to use it. In fact, I'm part of a local LUG which holds a whole "linuxfest". I do not discourage this, just what I stated before.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro

Umm,you mean you don't have any objection as long as the benefits of linux are not exaggerated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

As i like the ubuntu,I told all the people "the ubuntu is a good OS,you can have a try with it !"

Beans

I do neither. I once showed my girlfriend the cube, scale and other features in Compiz, and she thought they looked "wankerish". Sometimes trying to impress people with the graphical features of Compiz backfires.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post
    Umm,you mean you don't have any objection as long as the benefits of linux are not exaggerated.
    Exactly, as long as the benefits aren't exaggerated, the downsides are known so that they can make an informed decision, and you don't tell everyone to use it, and only tell them when they ask. After all, if something works for someone, theres no need to change.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Exactly, as long as the benefits aren't exaggerated, the downsides are known so that they can make an informed decision, and you don't tell everyone to use it, and only tell them when they ask. After all, if something works for someone, theres no need to change.
    I've been in the good books as far as not exaggerating is concerned,but I would disagree about this
    Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome
    you don't tell everyone to use it, and only tell them when they ask
    If people don't know an alternative exists,then how and why would they ask?You have to first disseminate the information that an alternative is available and if you are interested,you can contact so-and-so.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast