Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Hardy 8.04 update freezes on generating locales

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Hardy 8.04 update freezes on generating locales

Quote Originally Posted by hitspace View Post
    im wondering though if i tried ubuntals fix which was killing the unresponsive process how exactly do i do that because i cant get the "top" command to work in any script i open.
    Code:
    ps -ef
    The last great frontier is In Your Mind!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've got the same problem as Edward4310. When I boot up & hite Esc (GRUB?) I get three kernel options, 2.6.22-19-generic, 22-15-generic, 22-14-generic, and their recovery modes.

I initially booted into kernel 22.14's recovery mode and ran dpkg -- configure -a, and the system hung on generating locales. I didn't think to kill the locale generation processes, rebooted and tried again, and then tried running dpkg --configure -a in kernel 15 and kernel 19.

Now there's no locale problems, but no matter which kernel I boot into, I get the same errors as Edward4310:

dpkg: too many errors, stopping
    dpkg: ../../src/packages.c:251: process_queue: Assertion `!queuelen' failed.eric (recovery mode), -15

If I try going into GNOME failsafe mode, the login & password are typed in using giant characters (the text entry boxes are normal size, but the text I'm entering looks like it's 48-point font, so I only see a small portion of the characters), and then I get a plain beige screen with no icons, no menus, no nothing. The mouse tracks around, but there's nothing to click on, no way to raise a terminal window.

I was running Gutsy 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron 530 with Nvidia graphics card (Dell-installed Ubuntu).

Any suggestions where to go from here?

Alternatively, instructions on how to copy my hard disk's contents onto a portable hard drive using the command line in recovery mode would be appreciated. Then I could just re-install the entire OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is a Dell related problem. I had it too on my Dell 530.

I'm not technically competent, but I got good help on the Dell forum. Look for my thread there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This was Prinknash's advice to me - which worked:

After pressing F2, you enter 'Setup'.
    - At the 'Integrated Peripherals' screen, go to SATA mode and select RAID (rather than the default IDE)
    - Save changes and reboot.

The only problem I was left with was a black margin down one side of the screen. That can be dealt with by using the monitor buttons to auto-adjust.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay, I'm continuing to fail in new and spectacular ways. Updates on this other thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...58#post5661158

Any help appreciated.

Beans

I've got the hang on en_AU.UTF-8 as well. Does anyone have an idea why I am using the AU locale anyway? Does it generate all the locales by default, and AU just happens to be the first one it comes to? When I originally installed, I told it I live in the US, etc.

Beans

I followed the instructions from the third post and it worked out well for me. I had to reboot once and do the dpkg --configure -a command a second time, but now all is well. My thanks to all who gave helpful advice in this thread.

Because I got the update to continue, I answered my above post regarding the AU locale. It does do all the locales and the AU is the first on the list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My problem got solved, and Hardy is up and running, all data preserved.

I put the details in the related thread over in the Dell forum.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gwen View Post
    I tried the suggested fix and booted the .14 kernel, ran dpkg, and it worked and upgraded to 8.04. However, it still does not log in, and when I try to run dpkg again, it outputs a bunch of lines, followed by this:
    Code:
    dpkg: too many errors, stopping
    dpkg: ../../src/packages.c:251: process_queue: Assertion `!queuelen' failed.
    I waited a long while before upgrading to Hardy - you would think bugs like this would be worked out by now. Why are so many people having trouble upgrading and no solutions to fix this?
    I got to the same place. I found this thread (see post #15):
    http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....=766448&page=2
    So I rebooted into the newest kernel recovery mode (I actually don't think it matters at this point) and ran
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a > error.log
    like it says. Before the message above I got the same warning: The home dir /var/run/dbus you specified can't be accessed: No such file or directory. I created the directory
    Code:
    mkdir /var/run/dbus
    and re-ran
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    and everything worked perfectly after that.

Good luck.
    Last edited by wlangston; August 27th, 2008 at 05:25 AM. Reason: -added post number for link

Beans

Whenever I tried to kill localedef, nothing would happen. Even kill -9 had no effect. The only way I could stop the process was to reboot, and most of the time I had to do a hard power off (by holding the power button down for a while).

In the end I had to de-select the en_AU locale to get it past this step. I edited
    Code:
    /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local
    and removed the line:
    Code:
    en_AU.UTF-8
    Then I ran this again:
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    This time it generated all the locales successfully, including en_AU. I'll try re-selecting it when I finish upgrading to 8.04.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast