Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox Shared Folders

Beans

VirtualBox Shared Folders

I'm using VirtualBox 1.6.2 and I have host as Ubuntu 8.04 and guest as Windows XP Professional. I've set up the shared folder by going to the Windows XP VM window and Devices > Shared Folders. I set the folder to be the home folder (/home/stephen) but I don't see it in Windows XP. I went to Start > Run > explorer and I did not see the shared folder, nor in My Network Places. Any ideas? I've read somewhere that we could also use FTP or similar file transfer, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: VirtualBox Shared Folders

Have you installed the Guest Additions in your Windows guest?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Map it as a network drive in your windows virtual box. Open windows explorer (not internet explorer) Tools-->Map network drive. Go to browse and it should be there.

Beans

Yes, I have installed Guest Additions, and I have tried mapping the network drive just now.. I clicked on browse and it didn't show up. =(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I've been having the same problem on my virtualbox install. I go into windows explorer, network places, entire network, virtual box shared folders, but there is no folder there. I have guest additions installed as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xItachi View Post
    Yes, I have installed Guest Additions, and I have tried mapping the network drive just now.. I clicked on browse and it didn't show up. =(
    When you map the drive your best bet is to just put the shared folder path in yourself rather than jumping through all the hoops necessary to find it by browsing.

When you share the folder in VirtualBox, before closing the Shared Folders setup box, right-click on the folder you shared and click on what's this. It will give you the path to type in when you map a drive to the folder in windows.

For example, if you named the folder "SharedFolder", then in the map network drive window you would put in \\vboxsvr\SharedFolder

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I am also having the same problem, Temporily i am using bridged network between Guest&host and doing FTP to share files.
    ((¯`·._ Harikumar_.·´¯))

Beans

hariprs: Could you please explain how to do that?

zd3nik: I tried doing what you said by mapping the network drive directly instead of browsing, (\\vboxsrv\stephen) and it still cannot find the folder.

Beans

xp has problems with older copies of the guest additions.

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...d22e7d2f83a9d7

read this and there is a download link for the newest version.

try that.

Beans

krsmit0: Thanks! Guest Additions 1.6.0 works with shared folders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast