Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best thing you have done with Linux that you couldnt have done with windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Best thing you have done with Linux that you couldnt have done with windows?

I used nautilus-actions to create a script that copies a file to a folder inside /var/www and copies its address (with my ip) to the clipboard, so now if I want to publish an image I must just right click it!

Here it is:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

r=.${1#*.} ;
    n=0 ;

while [ -e /var/www/img/inger/$n$r ] ; do true $[ n++ ] ; done ;
    mv $1 /var/www/img/inger/$n$r ;

echo `ipcheck`/img/inger/$n$r | xclip -selection c  ;
    And this is ipcheck to know my ip:
    Code:
     curl -s www.whatismyip.com/automation/n09230945.asp && echo
    No more imagesack
    Remember to thank me by pressing the star below my post if I was helpful
    The world started on 1970. Anyone claiming to be over 39 is a liar.
    Vote for better prefixes!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Best thing you have done with Linux that you couldnt have done with windows?

GnomeDo, it enhances my productivity a lot.

Beans

Re: Best thing you have done with Linux that you couldnt have done with windows?

several things at once without crashing or locking up. i.e. bittorrent+music+a game running+internet+ possibly extracting a zip file... all done at the same time in ubuntu with no crashes/lockups to date. not one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Don't have to worry about the version being sunsetted like Windows XP. XP is a strong and relatively efficient OS (I said "relatively")......but windows is going End of Life very shortly.

What couldn't I do with windows? Get the next version upgrade without having to take a small loan! Best of all, unlike Windows, I can share!!!!!
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

get a complelty useable computer without spending anything on softwere including the OS.

bake a 350 res fluid sim in blender without it crashing.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Haven't found anything I couldn't do on windows yet.

The difference is I can do it for free.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans

Surf the net with peace of mind

Beans

The best thing I have done is show to some skeptical friends that you do not need Windows to run an inexpensive computer. When I show others, they are a little shocked that the status quo is changing quickly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Use LiveCDs.

Between Ubuntu/Kubuntu, SystemRescueCD, and Damn Small Linux, it is amazing what I can do to fix Windows systems that aren't running properly (BTW, I should add I'm the IT department at my office, and we are strictly Windows there, although I am Linux at home... I'm trying to convince them, but I haven't had much luck so far).

Whether it is something as simple as running a Memory Check, something as mundane as getting data off a Win98 laptop when it has no CD burner and no network/internet connection and no drivers for the USB port (that was a co-worker's personal computer, not an office computer, BTW), or as complex as getting rid of viruses, it is amazing what I can do with the "free" Linux LiveCDs that I simply can't accomplish with the considerably more expensive Windows.

And this next story isn't "Linux" per se, but it is open source (or free software, if you prefer). A co-worker was having trouble opening a jpeg file in Adobe Photoshop CS a couple weeks ago. Every time he tried, it would give him an error message (something about a bad image header) and shut down Photoshop. I opened it right up in GIMP (running on Windows) without any problems, resaved it, and he was able to work with it from then on. I haven't let him live that one down yet.

I love using free tools to fix problems that can't be fixed by programs that cost hundreds of dollars.
    ----
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Linux user # 384496
    Ubuntu user # 15390

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

get the real driving experience through the command line interface

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast