Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy With Slackware 12.1

Beans

Re: Happy With Slackware 12.1

Slackware seems to be the only distro which is happy with my ATI card using the closed source drivers, there's not even the checkboard effect with WINE apps on the latest drivers.

Beans
    Hidden!

Nice thing about Slacky. A prime example of functional simplicity. Yet people wonder why so little has changed since it's conception. Read a review about any release and it's usually the same.

It's still Slackware, it's still the same, and we will not let pkgtool be considered a package manager because it doesn't download from a remote repository where there is expected to be no less that 10,000 pre-packaged applications to pick from.

May the source be with you.

Also check THIS out. I kept it around for a long time and it has made my Slackware experience educational and fun.

Beans

I heared before that slack is almost to be the oldest version of linux bofore Redhat or Debian is that right? I'm very intersted to use it .

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kathem_1 View Post
    I heared before that slack is almost to be the oldest version of linux bofore Redhat or Debian is that right? I'm very intersted to use it .
    Yes, Slackware pre dates Redhat and Debian...wow..I feel old.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kathem_1 View Post
    Yes Slackware is the oldest surviving Linux Distribution and was originally based off of Softlanding Linux System which was the largest distro in it's time.

Beans

OpenSUSE is based on Slackware isn't it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    OpenSUSE is based on Slackware isn't it?
    Yes indirectly, Suse was based off Slackware and was then bought by Novell where it got renamed to openSUSE as they made it a bit more open source. These days though the only thing openSUSE has in common with Slackware is that they are both linux distros

on a side note: 500 posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm dead keen to try Slack, but I'm just SO clueless I'm sure I'm going to screw it up. At this point I need like a n00b-proof hand-holding walk-through where even the most obvious stuff is explained.

My experience of linux so far is that I learn by having things not work then googling to find out what the fix is. But it's such a slow way to do things! It must have taken a couple of hours before I found out that I didn't have build-essentials installed. I think I've spent about two days trying to install webcam drivers.

I'm starting to get a *small clue regarding partitioning, so that's a start, but I'll have to go google lilo, grub and bootloading first I think.

When I looked at the Slackware downloads and saw two files for each disk, and several disks, I figured I might be out of my depth. So far it's just been choose either 64 or 32 bit, download an ISO, burn it and off you go.

Edited to add: my ISP's unmetered download page has a DVD iso of Slackware ..so... in a few hours (!) .... deep breath and dive in!
    Last edited by xarte; January 2nd, 2009 at 01:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12