Thread: [SOLVED] Bonding + DHCP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question [SOLVED] Bonding + DHCP

I'm setting up an Ubuntu-based file server, and for high availability I want to bond the two NICs. This is straightforward enough:

/etc/modules
    Code:
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

loop
    lp
    rtc
    sbp2
    fuse
    bonding mode=balance-alb miimon=100
    /etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# Bonding interface
    auto bond0
    iface bond0 inet static
    address 10.12.0.50
    netmask 255.0.0.0
    gateway 10.12.0.1
    post-up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
    pre-down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1
    (Mucho mucho thanks to tcpip4lyfe for providing an excellent bonding how-to!)

This works well enough. The trouble is, I don't want static IP assignment. For purposes of keeping everything centrally managed, I maintain a separate DHCP server; I want my bonded interface to get a DHCP lease on boot. Unfortunately, simply changing the relevant iface line above to dhcp (and, of course, removing the fixed-assignment lines) doesn't work - the interface comes up just fine, but it doesn't get a DHCP lease. Manually starting dhclient3 after boot works - I get a lease immediately. I notice that doing this results in two instances of dhclient3 running:

>ps aux | grep dhcp
    Code:
    dhcp      4440  0.0  0.0  15108   964 ?        Ss   16:42   0:00 dhclient3 -e IF_METRIC=100 -pf /var/run/dhclient.bond0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.bond0.leases bond0
    dhcp      4918  0.0  0.0  15112   768 ?        Ss   16:45   0:00 dhclient3 bond0
    The first instance is apparently what's started during boot up, and it fails to get a lease. The second is my manual attempt to start DHCP.

Does anyone know of a way that my bond0 interface can get its DHCP lease automatically on boot-up? Is there some specific sequence that needs to happen? This seems like it should be something so simple, but I've been banging my head against this problem all day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: [SOLVED] Bonding + DHCP

I managed to figure it out. For anyone else who might find themselves needing this, the configuration is the same as above; all that is needed is to change the iface configuration type to "manual" and then add a post-up command after the network adapters are slaved to fetch the DHCP lease. Turns out the issue was the bonding adapter trying to get a DHCP lease before it had a physical adapter to send the request on.

/etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# Bonding interface
    auto bond0
    iface bond0 inet manual
      post-up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
      post-up dhclient3 -e IF_METRIC=100 -pf /var/run/dhclient.bond0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.bond0.leases bond0
      pre-down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1
    There probably should be a pre-down to release the DHCP lease, but this seems to work well enough, especially since this server happens to have a fixed DHCP lease.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Bonding + DHCP

Thanks a lot
    Your post helped me after 3 years !

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Bonding + DHCP

This post also helped me tremendously. Although, I had to tweak the bond0 stanza in /etc/network/interfaces a bit for my Ubuntu server 10.4LTS install. I hope this can be helpful to others:

Code:
    auto bond0
    iface bond0 inet manual
        up ifconfig bond0 up
        up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
        up dhclient3 -e IF_METRIC=100 -pf /var/run/dhclient.bond0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.bond0.leases bond0
        down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1