Thread: sound not working on certain game (Maelstrom)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sound not working on certain game (Maelstrom)[SOLVED]

Hi all,
    I really like the game Maelstrom I've been been having issues with the sound that have been driving me nuts. I can hear the sound in the background, but there is this really annoying buzzing noise in the foreground.
    The strange thing is that none of my other games have this problem.
    I was hoping that downloading the source and creating a .deb package cure the problem... It didn't (see http://www.metalshaperman.com/?p=47 if anyones curious).

I posted this question once before... Apparently no one else has had this issue. I tried emailing the guy who created the package.. No answer...
    Soo... I guess my only other option is to try to isolate the code section and try figure it out from there..
    I don't mind this, since I'm trying to learn C++ anyway... but life is sort of short... Does any one have any other suggestions before I start tearing into source??

I went faq to the maelstrom and found that it uses "Simple DirectMedia Layer" site which eventual pointed me here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/188567
    Not quite there yet but getting closer.
    Last edited by Jonas thomas; March 11th, 2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Closer to finding my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: sound not working on certain game (Maelstrom)

I know that this post is 6 months old, but the solution for anybody having this problem can be found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

I was having the exact same sound problem with the Maelstrom game on Hardy 8.04, and I followed psyke83's outstanding How-To in the above sited URL for PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support. And, sound now works properly in Maelstrom.
    Linux Registered ID # 136950

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by KJ55 View Post
    I know that this post is 6 months old, but the solution for anybody having this problem can be found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

I was having the exact same sound problem with the Maelstrom game on Hardy 8.04, and I followed psyke83's outstanding How-To in the above sited URL for PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support. And, sound now works properly in Maelstrom.
    Well, it took care of the buzzing sound at least... Now I have no sound at all.. But at least I have somewhere to ask about how to fix that.
    Thank you so much for giving me the heads up on this. I love that game as haven't really played it since I upgraded from Feisty..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas thomas View Post
    Well, it took care of the buzzing sound at least... Now I have no sound at all.. But at least I have somewhere to ask about how to fix that.
    Thank you so much for giving me the heads up on this. I love that game as haven't really played it since I upgraded from Feisty..
    I'm sorry you're still experiencing a problem with the sound on the Maelstrom game after following the How-To I referred you to.

I, like you, was previously experiencing the annoying buzzing sound in the foreground and the barely audible game sounds in the background (on Hardy 8.04 32-bit). I followed the referenced How-to, and the sound problem was fixed with the Maelstrom game.

I would recommend you follow the troubleshooting guidance provided in the How-to by posting the results in that thread the following:

Code:
    $ aplay -l
    and

Code:
    $ pkill pulseaudio; sleep 2; pulseaudio -vv
    in addition, to the the problem application.

Also, try to limit the variables; e.g., use only the updated fix files for PulseAudio (for Hardy) in psyke83's PPA (Personal Package Archives).

Hopefully, you will fix the sound problem with the Maelstrom game. Best of luck!
    Last edited by KJ55; December 26th, 2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Typo
    Linux Registered ID # 136950

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yah know,
    I ran through the link that you provided a couple of weeks ago and I for what ever reason, it works know. My suspision is clarified intructions and fixes that have been deployed through synaptic. Program no longer appears to be a problem...