Thread: new to Vmware, have one question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

new to Vmware, have one question

If I convert my Windows XP install, does it disable my main XP boot drive.

In other words will I still be able to dual boot to Win XP after I convert it. My wife uses XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: new to Vmware, have one question

I don't really understand your question. If you mean a dual boot system then yes you would still be able to boot to XP.

But your title states VMWare. You need to be a bit more specific about your question please........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i mean will I still be able to boot XP natively from it's own partition after I convert it.

Or am I going to have to always run Vmware to get to use XP.

Hope this is clearer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Once you create a partition to install the Ubuntu OS and have it installed to that partition, yes you will be able to run either one or the other but not both at the same time.

With VMware though, you can run XP along with Ubuntu in its own window. I have two separate drives running windows on one and Ubuntu on the other. On my Ubuntu drive I also use VMware with XP installed as a virtual OS, so I have three different OS's installed on my system.

Does this help?

What exactly are you looking to do with your setup? Are you just looking to use Linux as well as have windows installed for your wife?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah that answered my question. Well, I use Ubuntu and Mandriva interchangeably, but there are times when I have to boot into XP just to look at it-OCD I guess(I have a 3 OS's- two linux on one drive, and XP on it's own seperate drive). So I wanted to get a virtual one running in Ubuntu,(just to have it in case I ever really need it) but was unsure if that was going to make my XP OS unbootable outside of the virtual enviroment.
    Last edited by Mr Pockets151; July 19th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.