Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to be master of the noble way of linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Want to be master of the noble way of linux

Quote Originally Posted by cherva View Post
    I suggest you to read about the Power Cycle Bug in the HDD's of laptops using linux and see if you are affected ( I'm not sure this is fixed already. ) Just keep an eye of your Power Cycle Count in S.M.A.R.T. The package you need is smartmontools.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    And then just use:
    Code:
    sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda1
    where sda1 is your HDD and look for Power Cycle Count
    I am not sure what you mean by that post.

Is that a projekt I can work on?

Because is it not just to write those 2 commands?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    You read a book as you go along. If you want to have an intense knowledge of Linux it's a good way to go. Don't start this weekend though, get to know Ubuntu a little better.

Nice.

I will try to remember that.

Thank you

Beans

Read this NOW:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/basic-commands/C/

Then work your way throught the following:

-----------------------------------------

ubuntu help and wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy

aysiu's page (he's a member here):

http://www.psychocats.net/

The greatest of all linux sites:

http://tldp.org/

Especially read the guides there:

http://tldp.org/guides.html

Start with these

Bash Guide for Beginners
    GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary

A couple of books:

For ubuntu:

A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux (Sobell)

For linux in general:

Unix Power Tools, Third Edition (Powers, Peek, O'Reilly, Loukides)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I had to practice my Bash skills (EDIT: I know practice is a good thing and I will not stop with that )

everything went fine until I played a little to much with a shredder command

Luckily for me I were not practicing in sudo mode so the only files affected where all the non-library and non-hidden files in my Home folder.

I don't know why the command shredder worked without sudo?
    why it only worked on visible files?
    why it only affected the files and not wandered into the directories?
    why I still were able to see the files after the shredder episode (I were not able to open them just see them)?

All the files I lost were just some test scripts of no importance. But there were one file "lshw.txt", I can't remember I made a file named that. So is that an important one?

I think I have learned a lesson about playing with dangerous machinery near my home directory, I hope.

I am one page away from completing the Basher guide you found to me

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    Read this NOW:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/basic-commands/C/

Then work your way throught the following:

ubuntu help and wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy

aysiu's page (he's a member here):

http://www.psychocats.net/

The greatest of all linux sites:

http://tldp.org/

Especially read the guides there:

http://tldp.org/guides.html

Start with these

Bash Guide for Beginners
    GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary

A couple of books:

For ubuntu:

A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux (Sobell)

For linux in general:

Unix Power Tools, Third Edition (Powers, Peek, O'Reilly, Loukides)

wow thank you... I wil definetly look through that.
    Last edited by RobbingDaHood; July 19th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Those are indeed excellent resources he pointed you to and exactly of the type that will get you the answers you seek. Reading and trying things out is the only way to go. To those that said linux from scratch is not something to start right away I might disagree. If you have great interest and great motivation, you can tackle tasks that would otherwise be out of reach. Now you may fail more often at trying linux from scratch than someone that has read everything there is about linux first, you'll learn a lot by failing. And indeed it may be very daunting and too difficult at first, but as long as you don't worry about that it may be fun too. Just don't forget to read as you go. The faster you iterate your read-try-fail cycle the more you'll learn.

So my advice is to either have a testing partition where you really don't worry about what commands you run because you can just wipe it out and restore it, or learn how to use virtual machines like qemu or Virtualbox and play inside those. They are really easy to wipe and restart so you can test whatever you like. That method also has less likelihood of damaging your other paritions while you are testing as well.

Oh, also as you go you may find a particular aspect you are more interested in than others, if it is the kernel you'll want a kernel internals book and you'll want to compile your own custom kernels and read the kernel source, if it is network security you'll want to get a good book on that and find the source code for the various security tools/systems, same for networking/graphics/device drivers/whatever. If you want to learn it all, start with what interests you most.
    Last edited by Taxman415a; July 19th, 2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add a bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One thing I have found very instructive is to install VirtualBox, install Ubuntu or another distro onto that, and just use that as a test bed for messing around with and generally doing all the things you wouldn't want to do with an actual machine. VirtualBox can take snapshots at any time so you can always revert back to these if anything goes wrong.

I've done all sorts of things in VirtualBox that I wouldn't do on an actual machine for fear of wrecking my install. For instance, I compiled my own Linux kernel in a Xubuntu install in VirtualBox, and I wouldn't dare do this yet in an actual machine for fear it might bork it. It's also good for doing a command-line only install and adding your choice of lightweight window manager, file manager etc. It's also very handy for trying new distros as you can go through the install process and if anything goes wrong you can still get online using the host machine.
    Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time. -H. L. Mencken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: Want to be master of the noble way of linux

Quote Originally Posted by RobbingDaHood View Post
    thank you for your advice and it were not worthless

I found http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linuxcommand.org/index.php that starts VERY BASIC. Even I know some of the things there before I read it

So soon I will be powerful enough to summon the mighty power of the Bash to my side and CONQUER THE WORLD!!! Mu ha ha ha ha

Thank you. It is very nice to know that I am able to call myself master of linux before I have battled that mighty beast
    enthusiasm....cant exist with out it
    welcome to teh light....and the forums !!
    i alsp suggest some m
    linux books from anyplace that sells computer books.and even unix as well(they have much in common ).
    i read somewhere there are just over 18,000 shell commands.i might know 5 LOL but i can usually get fixed what i am seeking to fix.my unstarted personal project is a barebones 'buntu for 3d gaming with nvidia and ati drivers included.i may well try it with sabayon or gentoo and see how that goes.
    i also like tinkering with a minimalist live cd that runs in memory and doesnt intall(unless you want it to).puppy is one,and i think it is cool.if you want to explore and tinker try puppy and do what you can.it runs off a live cd so you cant possibly mess up your good computer settings but you also get to explore the linux way of doing things
    "when you have to shoot--shoot dont talk"
    Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez (known as the Rat)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman415a View Post
    Those are indeed excellent resources he pointed you to and exactly of the type that will get you the answers you seek. Reading and trying things out is the only way to go. To those that said linux from scratch is not something to start right away I might disagree. If you have great interest and great motivation, you can tackle tasks that would otherwise be out of reach. Now you may fail more often at trying linux from scratch than someone that has read everything there is about linux first, you'll learn a lot by failing. And indeed it may be very daunting and too difficult at first, but as long as you don't worry about that it may be fun too. Just don't forget to read as you go. The faster you iterate your read-try-fail cycle the more you'll learn.

So my advice is to either have a testing partition where you really don't worry about what commands you run because you can just wipe it out and restore it, or learn how to use virtual machines like qemu or Virtualbox and play inside those. They are really easy to wipe and restart so you can test whatever you like. That method also has less likelihood of damaging your other paritions while you are testing as well.

Oh, also as you go you may find a particular aspect you are more interested in than others, if it is the kernel you'll want a kernel internals book and you'll want to compile your own custom kernels and read the kernel source, if it is network security you'll want to get a good book on that and find the source code for the various security tools/systems, same for networking/graphics/device drivers/whatever. If you want to learn it all, start with what interests you most.
    But would a brand new Ubuntu user like me not get more out of using other aspects of Ubuntu and linux distroes before making my own distro. Because don't I need to know what I want before I build it? Because right now I only have a wage image of the possibilitys of a Linux kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by MattBD View Post
    One thing I have found very instructive is to install VirtualBox, install Ubuntu or another distro onto that, and just use that as a test bed for messing around with and generally doing all the things you wouldn't want to do with an actual machine. VirtualBox can take snapshots at any time so you can always revert back to these if anything goes wrong.

I've done all sorts of things in VirtualBox that I wouldn't do on an actual machine for fear of wrecking my install. For instance, I compiled my own Linux kernel in a Xubuntu install in VirtualBox, and I wouldn't dare do this yet in an actual machine for fear it might bork it. It's also good for doing a command-line only install and adding your choice of lightweight window manager, file manager etc. It's also very handy for trying new distros as you can go through the install process and if anything goes wrong you can still get online using the host machine.
    thank you.

I will try that right away (setting up a VirtualBox)
    Last edited by RobbingDaHood; July 19th, 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

Can someone explain to him the Power Cycle Bug with HDD's and Linux in more details please

books?

i hear a lot of books going on here, i thought these were depreciated after the invention of the ARPA net.

google is your friend

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast