Thread: ATI Driver issue

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

ATI Driver issue

Hi. I'm new to Linux (recently installed HH 8.04 as a standalone OS). I recently downloaded (upgraded) a proprietary driver for my ATI video card through ADMIN>HARDWARE DRIVERS. The problem I'm now having is that my synaptic manager now won't run due to several erros (as well as Applications>Add/Remove), so I don't know how else to remove the newer driver (or at least revert back to the original Ubuntu driver). I believe that installing the new driver caused my synaptic manager error, as everything was working up until I installed it.

I can get into terminal, but I've no idea what commands to use there. I can't post the errors at the moment, as I'm not currently at home, but any suggestions to try when I do, would be greatly appreciated.
    Ubuntu doesn't 'just work'...but it is better than Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ATI Driver issue

Quote Originally Posted by Unotforme View Post
    Hi. I'm new to Linux (recently installed HH 8.04 as a standalone OS). I recently downloaded (upgraded) a proprietary driver for my ATI video card through ADMIN>HARDWARE DRIVERS. The problem I'm now having is that my synaptic manager now won't run due to several erros (as well as Applications>Add/Remove), so I don't know how else to remove the newer driver (or at least revert back to the original Ubuntu driver). I believe that installing the new driver caused my synaptic manager error, as everything was working up until I installed it.

I can get into terminal, but I've no idea what commands to use there. I can't post the errors at the moment, as I'm not currently at home, but any suggestions to try when I do, would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi and could you post the output of the commands
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Please use the code tags in your reply to conserve space and easy reading.
    Code:
    Like this

Beans
    Distro

I have ran those commands, and received the same error messages that synaptic gives me when I load up. I can't post those erros though until I get home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Unotforme View Post
    I have ran those commands, and received the same error messages that synaptic gives me when I load up. I can't post those erros though until I get home.
    ok do you remember the error message?

Beans
    Distro

I get this message in terminal and in synaptic:

Reading package lists... Error!
    E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
    E: Error occurred while processing scim-gtk2-immodule (NewVersion1)
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.