Thread: Size of updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Size of updates

I'm pretty new to using Linux as a desktop, I've only been using Ubuntu for about two months.

One thing that has been bothering me is that there seem to be endless updates to download. Don't get me wrong, I love that there are people working to improve and repair this software that I'm using for free, but there seem to be an average of nearly 100mb each week. I'm sure I've downloaded the equivalent size of the original install iso at least two or three times by now.

I live in a small town where we pay a lot for broadband access. 512K/512K with 5GB of data transfer per month for $109.95. $30 per GB for overages. I share this connection with four family members living here. So, it hasn't taken me long to start thinking of those updates as something I just can't afford.

Why are they so large? Am I doing something wrong? It seems like I must be getting full applications each time rather than incremental updates/patches. Is that normal? Does anyone really download all this each time it comes up as "Important"?

Beans

Re: Size of updates

Mine are no way near 100MB, maybe try and remove packages you dont need to cut down the update size?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Stick to 'security' updates.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah, i agree with the two above me. You can disable some of the updates. Occassionally I get updates over 10 megs but that's when there's a major kernal update or openoffice has an update or something big like that. Normally, I probably download under 5 megs a week.
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it ~ Alan Kay

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by oddsock View Post
    I'm pretty new to using Linux as a desktop, I've only been using Ubuntu for about two months.

One thing that has been bothering me is that there seem to be endless updates to download. Don't get me wrong, I love that there are people working to improve and repair this software that I'm using for free, but there seem to be an average of nearly 100mb each week. I'm sure I've downloaded the equivalent size of the original install iso at least two or three times by now.

I live in a small town where we pay a lot for broadband access. 512K/512K with 5GB of data transfer per month for $109.95. $30 per GB for overages. I share this connection with four family members living here. So, it hasn't taken me long to start thinking of those updates as something I just can't afford.

Why are they so large? Am I doing something wrong? It seems like I must be getting full applications each time rather than incremental updates/patches. Is that normal? Does anyone really download all this each time it comes up as "Important"?
    If I had to pay for internet access based on the AMOUNT of data moved back and forth, I would be looking for an alternate ISP. I am not saying that you might have access to such an alternative where you are.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'd switch ISP's in a heartbeat, but there is only one in town. We're already over for this month, so I'll put off any more until the 1st. It's so easy to browse 50mb without even thinking about it, even without youtube.

Just getting security updates right now would be 27mb. The rest of it is largely open office updates, which it seems like was in the last big batch I got.

Well, I guess I'll just stick to the security ones then. I don't use open office very often, but I do want it available so I won't take it out. I guess I just need to check if the updates affect anything I'm doing, and skip them if they don't.

I'll be back in Anchorage in a month or so, then I'm going to go on a download binge...