Thread: "subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2". erk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2". erk.

I recently installed KDE, to try to use thinliquidfilm, but decided that HandBrake would work better.

So I tried to remove KDE, but had some problems as I apt-get'd it, rather that synaptic'ing or aptitude'ing, like I should have. I followed the guide on this site, but now when I apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, or dpkg anything, it does a lovely...

Code:
    fraser@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install kazehakase
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      libatk1-ruby1.8 libcairo-ruby1.8 libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby1.8 libgettext-ruby1.8
      libglib2-ruby1.8 libgtk2-ruby libgtk2-ruby1.8 libpango1-ruby1.8 libruby1.8
      ruby1.8
    Suggested packages:
      migemo rdoc1.8 ri1.8 ruby1.8-examples
    Recommended packages:
      hyperestraier libgettext-ruby-util
    The following packages will be REMOVED
      kio-umountwrapper
    The following NEW packages will be installed
      kazehakase libatk1-ruby1.8 libcairo-ruby1.8 libgdk-pixbuf2-ruby1.8
      libgettext-ruby1.8 libglib2-ruby1.8 libgtk2-ruby libgtk2-ruby1.8
      libpango1-ruby1.8 libruby1.8 ruby1.8
    0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 1 to remove and 178 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/3155kB of archives.
    After this operation, 14.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 111245 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing kio-umountwrapper ...
    No diversion `diversion of /usr/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop by kio-umountwrapper', none removed
    No diversion `diversion of /usr/share/apps/dolphin/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop by kio-umountwrapper', none removed
    Removing `diversion of /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop to /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop.distrib by kio-umountwrapper'
    dpkg-divert: error checking `/usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop': No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing kio-umountwrapper (--remove):
     subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     kio-umountwrapper
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Ouch. I have no idea what to do... Any help would be nice...

I need kazehakase!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: "subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2". erk.

Try doing:-
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -P kio-umountwrapper
    Post the output of the command here.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Code:
    fraser@laptop:~$ sudo dpkg -P kio-umountwrapper
    (Reading database ... 111245 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing kio-umountwrapper ...
    No diversion `diversion of /usr/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop by kio-umountwrapper', none removed
    No diversion `diversion of /usr/share/apps/dolphin/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop by kio-umountwrapper', none removed
    Removing `diversion of /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop to /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop.distrib by kio-umountwrapper'
    dpkg-divert: error checking `/usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/media_safelyremove.desktop': No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing kio-umountwrapper (--purge):
     subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     kio-umountwrapper
    Herey you go.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think it would get one because of the scary title...

EDIT: I see you have skype. I have a skypephone so Im always online. I should put my details.

EDIT2: Or I could just reinstall. My ~/ is safe.
    Last edited by fraser_m; July 18th, 2008 at 10:31 AM.

Beans

Hi there,

I recently had a similar problem as described in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=668097

The previous post was closed for posting, so I will post my solution here, as it probably is the same problem.

first go to a command line and execute the command

dpkg-divert --list

The package I was having problems with was xorg-driver-fglrx. The output of the previous command was

diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/X11R6/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
    diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
    diversion of /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
    diversion of /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx

The lines in the output take the form

diversion of XXX to YYY by package

in this, package is the of your package. In my case, this was xorg-driver-fglrx, in your case this would be kio-unmountwrapper

Look for the file /var/lib/dpkg/info/package.postrm
    I had to look for /var/lib/dpkg/info/xorg-driver-fglrx.postrm
    You will have to look for /var/lib/dpkg/info/kio-unmountwrapper.postrm

Before you make any changes to the file, it could be smart to make a back up copy.

When I opened the file xorg-driver-fglrx.postrm, it contained the lines:

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 > /dev/null

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 > /dev/null

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 > /dev/null

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 > /dev/null

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 > /dev/null

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/X11R6/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 > /dev/null

These lines are of the form:

dpkg-diver --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert YYY XXX > /dev/null

The lines in this file have to be in synch with the lines that are shown after you execute the dpkg-divert --list command. They were not, so I fixed the file /var/lib/dpkg/info/xorg-driver-fglrx.postrm to look like:

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/X11R6/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 > /dev/null

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 > /dev/null

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 > /dev/null

dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package $PKGNAME --divert /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 > /dev/null

After I had fixed the postrm file, I could remove my package without any problem. I hope this will work for you as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had a similar problem, "post-removal script returned error exit status 2" error came up every time I tried to remove or install a program.

I found a simple solution on The _khAttAm_ blog where the first solution worked fine.

If you go to terminal and type in the following:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude -f install

and it should everything worked again. If this doesn't work, click on the hyperlink above because he has a couple more solutions on the blog!

(^_^)

Beans

Re: "subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1".

I have a the same problem on Ubuntu 11.10, the only change is the exist status is 1 instead of 2 being discussed. None of the solutions mentioned above have worked for me.

Further if I try to enable the driver via jockey, then nothing happens for hours, it just keeps saying "installing drivers". (The status of the process is "sleeping").

-- VInay

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: "subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1".

Closed. Please start a new thread for your question.