Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Linux Experts

Beans

Re: Calling All Linux Experts

I can answer more than half of them! This makes me happy because I am a relatively new *nix user. I even know the answer of "What is the maximum length of CAT6?" which is actually very easy to look up. So the easy ones according to me are these: 1-4, 6-9, 11, 14, 17 (provided that you change "red hat" with "debian" in some of the questions).

I don't know those things about OSI and layers. But I bet I can answer one or two after reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

I am a bit ashamed that I don't know the answers of 5 & 15. Can anyone answer them:

5. Give an example of a set of shell commands to tell how many times “bob” has logged on to the system this month.

15. Show an example of using telnet to learn the headers of an http server.

Beans

Stange that these questions are given in advance.
    (I reckon all of them know about Google.)

As for Q15 I googled for
    telnet headers http server linux

No problem!
    The job is mine!

Linux user #107478

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by knutschr View Post
    As for Q15 I googled for
    telnet headers http server linux
    I've got it. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bradcarr View Post
    If I could ever so kindly ask the Linux world for some help.

I have applied for a job that is in a heavy Linux environment and I have been sent a questionnaire about my knowledge. I know my way around pretty good and just want double check my answers. Some of the questions and a gim-me, some take some thinking and some are just down right hard. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    For those who have commented, it is indeed an entry level network administration position with some Linux skills required as most of our network management tools run on Linux. I would also like to say thank you for the very sensible comments you all have made about the call for answers. And "bradcarr" while you haven't broken the rules of my questionnaire you have definitely broken the spirit of the exercise. I did indeed say you could use any resource available to you, but didn't it cross your mind that this might be the wrong thing to do? I want to see the "real world" ability of a potential employee, not what they can recite in an interview but what they can come up with using their normal information sources to solve a problem or research a subject.

This has shown me that you won't take the initiative to research a problem, even when it might land you a job. I "googled" most of these questions before making the list and most of them are very easily discovered. It didn't seem to me that I was asking too much for people to use mailing lists, forums, IRC whatever to compile the answers themselves. I actually expected to see some questions show up on forums but I didn't expect someone to paste the entire thing and expect the forum users to do all the work that would qualify you for an interview. I think at this point you could save us all some time and not turn the answers back in, I already have the information I need on your answers.

As far as the rest of you, if there are any of you reading this thread that live in the Nashville area that want a network administration job with some Linux work feel free to shoot me your resume at paul.tinsley (at) lightningsource.com. Oh, while you are at it, go ahead and send me the answers to the questions
    Last edited by Sef; July 30th, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Set the email, so spam bots won't be able to read it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hint: 14a is a trick question.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Calling All Linux Experts

Interesting.

Maybe we could close this thread now or something.

It looks like it has run it's course.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by ptinsley View Post
    For those who have commented, it is indeed an entry level network administration position with some Linux skills required as most of our network management tools run on Linux. I would also like to say thank you for the very sensible comments you all have made about the call for answers. And "bradcarr" while you haven't broken the rules of my questionnaire you have definitely broken the spirit of the exercise. I did indeed say you could use any resource available to you, but didn't it cross your mind that this might be the wrong thing to do? I want to see the "real world" ability of a potential employee, not what they can recite in an interview but what they can come up with using their normal information sources to solve a problem or research a subject.

This has shown me that you won't take the initiative to research a problem, even when it might land you a job. I "googled" most of these questions before making the list and most of them are very easily discovered. It didn't seem to me that I was asking too much for people to use mailing lists, forums, IRC whatever to compile the answers themselves. I actually expected to see some questions show up on forums but I didn't expect someone to paste the entire thing and expect the forum users to do all the work that would qualify you for an interview. I think at this point you could save us all some time and not turn the answers back in, I already have the information I need on your answers.

As far as the rest of you, if there are any of you reading this thread that live in the Nashville area that want a network administration job with some Linux work feel free to shoot me your resume at paul.tinsley@lightningsource.com. Oh, while you are at it, go ahead and send me the answers to the questions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Hint: 14a is a trick question.
    No it isnt. For example, its significantly more difficult to sniff packets on a network from a machine plugged into a switch than it is when connected to a hub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Calling All Linux Experts

This is probably the funniest threads I have ever read.

Who gets called out by a potential boss on the Ubuntu Forums?

Soon to be a classic...
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ptinsley View Post

As far as the rest of you, if there are any of you reading this thread that live in the Nashville area that want a network administration job with some Linux work feel free to shoot me your resume at paul.tinsley@lightningsource.com. Oh, while you are at it, go ahead and send me the answers to the questions
    Brilliant!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast