Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Linux Experts

Beans

Re: Calling All Linux Experts

Quote Originally Posted by ptinsley View Post
    For those who have commented, it is indeed an entry level network administration position with some Linux skills required as most of our network management tools run on Linux. I would also like to say thank you for the very sensible comments you all have made about the call for answers. And "bradcarr" while you haven't broken the rules of my questionnaire you have definitely broken the spirit of the exercise. I did indeed say you could use any resource available to you, but didn't it cross your mind that this might be the wrong thing to do? I want to see the "real world" ability of a potential employee, not what they can recite in an interview but what they can come up with using their normal information sources to solve a problem or research a subject.

This has shown me that you won't take the initiative to research a problem, even when it might land you a job. I "googled" most of these questions before making the list and most of them are very easily discovered. It didn't seem to me that I was asking too much for people to use mailing lists, forums, IRC whatever to compile the answers themselves. I actually expected to see some questions show up on forums but I didn't expect someone to paste the entire thing and expect the forum users to do all the work that would qualify you for an interview. I think at this point you could save us all some time and not turn the answers back in, I already have the information I need on your answers.

As far as the rest of you, if there are any of you reading this thread that live in the Nashville area that want a network administration job with some Linux work feel free to shoot me your resume at paul.tinsley@lightningsource.com. Oh, while you are at it, go ahead and send me the answers to the questions

Wow thats awsome, I wish I could get that gig.
    And Knowing Is Half The Battle
    ------------------------------
    Chumley

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06

For those who have commented, it is indeed an entry level network administration position with some Linux skills required as most of our network management tools run on Linux. I would also like to say thank you for the very sensible comments you all have made about the call for answers. And "bradcarr" while you haven't broken the rules of my questionnaire you have definitely broken the spirit of the exercise. I did indeed say you could use any resource available to you, but didn't it cross your mind that this might be the wrong thing to do? I want to see the "real world" ability of a potential employee, not what they can recite in an interview but what they can come up with using their normal information sources to solve a problem or research a subject.

This has shown me that you won't take the initiative to research a problem, even when it might land you a job. I "googled" most of these questions before making the list and most of them are very easily discovered. It didn't seem to me that I was asking too much for people to use mailing lists, forums, IRC whatever to compile the answers themselves. I actually expected to see some questions show up on forums but I didn't expect someone to paste the entire thing and expect the forum users to do all the work that would qualify you for an interview. I think at this point you could save us all some time and not turn the answers back in, I already have the information I need on your answers.

As far as the rest of you, if there are any of you reading this thread that live in the Nashville area that want a network administration job with some Linux work feel free to shoot me your resume at paul.tinsley@lightningsource.com. Oh, while you are at it, go ahead and send me the answers to the questions
    WOW !!

Beans

This just hit digg's most popular....lol
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Hint: 14a is a trick question.
    No it is not. A hub will broadcast all incoming data to all ports where as a switch will send the data to the port that it originated from. so there is the potential for a user sitting on a computer on the same hub you are on to look at your data packets.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BDNiner View Post
    No it is not. A hub will broadcast all incoming data to all ports where as a switch will send the data to the port that it originated from. so there is the potential for a user sitting on a computer on the same hub you are on to look at your data packets.
    The reason I said that it's a trick question is that when all the packets are forwarded (no matter what) there is no great security advantage of using a switch over a hub. The main difference between a hub, a switch and a router is one of intelligence - the more sophisticated devices are able to determine the destination address of a packet and only send it there, without the other ports being able to see them.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Beans

It really is good to see that some people out there are still being fair and open minded about IT. I have been in a few situations where the Human Resources representative sitting across the table, who has never taken a computer course in their life, will sit there and time you on things like this. Then if you don't give the exact answer they were looking for, they mark it incorrect. Even if you answer is correct, it isn't correct according to the very rigidly worded answer sheet.

This applicant doesn't know how great a job they just missed out on. Seems like it would have been a great place to learn for someone who didn't know the answers. All it took was a desire to learn. The applicant isn't going to find many work environments like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok, this is damn funny but in all honesty not sure the guy deserves to be humiliated for being stupid.

So he asked a forum for the answer instead of googling the answers, big deal, so what hes being punished for is not spending time on google? a 2 year old can google the answers and still not understand what they mean. I cant understand how this is such a big deal.

Lets be honest, this is some low level, out of high school (probably) position and a 30something boss who thought it was hilarious that someone ratted out some dumb kid that interviewed with him and the boss, naturally feeling like the judge and executioner decided to not just humiliate the kid but to tell him to screw off, this was AFTER the interviewer said he could use any resources at his hands.

The mistake that really was made here was the interviewer saying that he could use any resource to get the answers.

Who wants to work for a boss that knows so little about where to find the best answers that he gives some dumb kid enough rope to hang himself?

Google? I thought he wanted the kid to use any resource he could to find the information?

This is the old way of doing things butting against the new way, its one kid going to the library and researching for hours v.s. the collective sharing knowledge, in this case there was no restriction made about where the kid got his information.

The interviewer who posted on here is without a doubt not only out of touch with technology (being caught sideways by the concept that the goofy kid would repost the questions here) but he is obviously someone who was more then happy to humiliate this stupid kid and he is a stupid kid but the interviewer would do well to look in the mirror sometime.
    Havent we met here somewhere before?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by VitaminBB View Post
    The interviewer who posted on here is without a doubt not only out of touch with technology (being caught sideways by the concept that the goofy kid would repost the questions here) but he is obviously someone who was more then happy to humiliate this stupid kid and he is a stupid kid but the interviewer would do well to look in the mirror sometime.

Okay. Simmer down now.

Neither you nor me, nor anyone else who posted on this thread know either the applicant or the 'interviewer', if you so will. So it's very wrong in the first place to have such a strong opinion on either.

Plus, there's several further misconceptions in that there rant of yours. But I will refrain from going through the whole thing and pointing every detail out.

Please think before you post. Please.

On a side note @ the rest: bookmarked this thread right away. funniest ever. made my day.
    One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words...

Beans

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    The reason I said that it's a trick question is that when all the packets are forwarded (no matter what) there is no great security advantage of using a switch over a hub. The main difference between a hub, a switch and a router is one of intelligence - the more sophisticated devices are able to determine the destination address of a packet and only send it there, without the other ports being able to see them.
    I might be mistaken, but aren't you forgetting about ARP Poisoning? You can just pretend you have someone's MAC address and receive the ethernet frames meant for them, or you can flood a Switch with ARP requests which will make many switches start behaving like a hub (broadcast to all ports).

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by batatafrita View Post
    Hi,

I might be mistaken, but aren't you forgetting about ARP Poisoning? You can just pretend you have someone's MAC address and receive the ethernet frames meant for them, or you can flood a Switch with ARP requests which will make many switches start behaving like a hub (broadcast to all ports).

Thanks
    Interesting point: I'm still learning.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast