Thread: Scanner Install - Linux vs. Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Scanner Install - Linux vs. Windows

Okay, I just have to share this experience. We have an Epson V100 Photo scanner, which was never listed as supported by sane, so I gave up. Just today, though, I decided to give it a chance, and found some drivers and a program for it, named iscan or something. I ended up not being able to compile them due to an error, and not being able to alien the RPM's due to my 64-bit OS. So I gave up, thinking, "I'll just go do it with Windows where it's always worked great."
    Wrong.
    I try to run the program, but it errors out. I find out that the drivers are suddenly not installed. I try to install them, and Windows notifies me that they are not digitally signed correctly, so it refuses to install them. Oh, yeah, and contact your system administrator.
    Don't you just hate it when you get that error, and you know that you in fact are the system administrator, and you have no idea what the heck to do?
    And when you try to update the driver, it claims you already have the latest one. Right.
    And this is after the Windows update that killed internet access for ZoneAlarm users. You know, sometimes I just about lose it with Windows. Yet for some reason that never happens with Linux. I wonder why that is?
    I think it's because when you ask Linux to open the pod bay doors, it's like, "I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that. You have to enable that module/compile that driver." When you ask Windows, it's like, "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
    Last edited by Sam Lars; July 18th, 2008 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Had to add a quote :)
    If I'm not being clear enough or giving you enough information, just ask

"But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."

Smooth scrolling for GTK!