Thread: ubuntu to backtrack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Exclamation ubuntu to backtrack

hey guys,
    so im trying to switch to backtrack 3 from ubuntu hardy
    i no this probably the wrong forum to ask this question but i cant find a backtrack forum
    so when i boot into backtrack the desktop is to big and the mozilla icon is off the screen and all the other apps
    ive tried auto ajust and positioning it myself but it doesnt seem to work and when i try to change it at the botum right wer i can change the resulotion it just goes back to the loading screen and re-opens with the largest resolution...
    how do i fix this ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: ubuntu to backtrack

We can give you better instructions if you tell us exactly what you are trying to do. You are saying you are switching from Backtrack 3 to Hardy (good choice), is there a reason why you can't just install Ubuntu now? Are you trying to back up your data you have on your Backtrack 3 install? If so, we can give you some commands you can use from the command line to back up your data. There is no need to spend time debugging a system you are going to get rid of anyway! And one final tip, next time you get the urge to use Backtrack, just play around with it as a LiveCD, no need for installation. After you install Ubuntu, you can even run Backtrack inside VMware. More on that after you get Ubuntu installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by TSS View Post
    We can give you better instructions if you tell us exactly what you are trying to do. You are saying you are switching from Backtrack 3 to Hardy (good choice), is there a reason why you can't just install Ubuntu now? Are you trying to back up your data you have on your Backtrack 3 install? If so, we can give you some commands you can use from the command line to back up your data. There is no need to spend time debugging a system you are going to get rid of anyway! And one final tip, next time you get the urge to use Backtrack, just play around with it as a LiveCD, no need for installation. After you install Ubuntu, you can even run Backtrack inside VMware. More on that after you get Ubuntu installed.
    ummm im trying out backtrack from ubuntu(jus checking out the security tools).
    so how do i change the resolution in backtrack so that it fits in my desktop screen?
    thx in advance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toliot View Post
    ummm im trying out backtrack from ubuntu(jus checking out the security tools).
    so how do i change the resolution in backtrack so that it fits in my desktop screen?
    thx in advance
    Right click on the desktop, go to Configure Desktop, then to Display.

EDIT: This tip is for BT2, not sure if it works on the new release. Also, BackTrack doesn't have security tools in the way of end user use. It's more of a toolkit for pen-testers.
    Last edited by mgranet; July 19th, 2008 at 05:27 AM.