Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] totem-xine using only PulseAudio

Beans

Re: totem-xine using only PulseAudio

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    VLC does that for me. I load the dvd, I open it with vlc, it plays. If I want the menu, I click a menu to get it, no problem. I really do not care if it exactly emulates my dvd player. I only care that it plays the movie and gives me the menu if I want it. In fact, the menu screen exactly emulates the dvd player menu screen but vlc skips that part and goes directly to playing the movie.

Actually, I think this is an improvement over dvd players, put the disk in, the movie plays. No stupid menu unless I want it.
    I do care if the root menu is the only place where I can choose between Cantonese and English; not only for the subtitles/audio, but for all the buttons in the DVD. No amount of clicking through VLC menus will take me to the DVD root menu in that case.

It is also easy to change vlc to whatever video and audio outputs, decoders, eq, whatever, I choose. It has an extensive preferences menu so it is easy to dial it in to my system for maximum performance.
    Oh, sure it is. It's also easy on xine-ui. Only in totem-xine I haven't been able to do it.

xine crashes my system when I try to use it with Miro but gstreamer works just fine so I have learned to avoid xine as a general principle. Totem xone may work on my system and I have it, but why bother when I have other things that I know for sure work.
    I've never ever had xine crash on me, and I've been using it since Fedora Core 4. GStreamer doesn't work just fine - it cannot access the DVD menus, it cannot jump to another chapter, and has serious problems skipping a large amount of time in the video. Xine does all that and so does totem-xine, that's why I'm so intent on making it work right.

The best thing about Ubuntu and Linux is that it gives you choices. Something does not work the way you want, try some other stuff until you find something that does. The worst possible thing you can do is stubbornly insist that some thing should work some way when it obviously does not.

Have some popcorn....
    That's why I installed totem-xine to play my DVDs.

btw, the flash problem with audio is due to bugs in flash 9 in the way it interacts with pulseaudio and the reason why libflashsupport was written in the first place, as a workaround for the inherent bad code in flash 9. Flash 10 fixes all that.
    Once again, I'd much rather get totem-xine to work than switch to Flash 10b. But apparently I have no other choice.

Beans

Re: totem-xine using only PulseAudio

I solved it.

To get ALSA sound output in totem-xine, I had to add the line "audio.driver:alsa" to the file ~/.config/totem/xine_config. However, I could not find that info on any manual anywhere - only experimentation got me there.

Thanks for the popcorn.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] totem-xine using only PulseAudio

This problem drives me crazy. Totem-xine is the only thing that can play VCD in my system (Hardy). But just like yours, it has no sound. If I use your solution of editing ~/.config/totem/xine_config I can get sound to work, but can no longer play VCD.

Help please ....

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] totem-xine using only PulseAudio

ok ... VCD works if I choose

Open Location

and type in

VCD://

It won't run if I chose "Open CD"

So I put a new item in the menu that has launcher command:

totem-xine vcd://

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12