Thread: Buffer error on install

Beans

Exclamation Buffer error on install

Hello forum fellows,
    Just starting to get immersed in linux, as with a lot of people through devices like the eee. I was looking to install ubuntu, but i have a problem when i run through. The device boots and prompts for language, then command. I select the first option, trying without changing my system. Then it comes up with the ubuntu logo and the timer bar. After this, about 15 seconds, it goes to a blank screen with a command line cursor. This then proceeds to go and display "[number] buffer read i/o error". There is something else but i can't quite remember. It then goes through a number of them, upto about 700 (about the size of the disc in MB). Then it comes up with a prompt with a help menu.
    Just wondering whether i am supposed to enter a command or if it is not meant to go down that path at all. Many thanks in advance.
    Stiiky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Buffer error on install

This can indicate either a problem with your CD drive or with the CD itself. If you burned the disk yourself, try making a new one, but at a slower burn speed.
    friends don't let friends use windows.

installed ubuntu on 7 computers and going up

Beans

That is what i had assumed was the case. I have tried burning it several different times wth different authoring programs. I have used the one suggested on the howto on the ubuntu site as well as basic ones i already had. It would be rather annoying should it be the burner that is the problem, it seems that it is the sam.e error and corresponding numbers that flash up each time. Would that support the idea that it is in fact my writer which is at fault?
    Many thanks, stiiky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

another thought. you may have a faulty .iso file that you're burning with.
    friends don't let friends use windows.

installed ubuntu on 7 computers and going up