Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: DYMO label writer How-To

O.K., here are my version numbers:

VirtualBox ----- 2.2.4

Dymo Label ----- 7.6.0.9

Ubuntu ------ 8.04

I run 32 bit, and have no issues with software seeing and using the USB ports through VirtualBox.

Seeing that you are using 64 bit Ubuntu and I'm assuming a 32 bit XP, I am wondering if that may be why. Could be some addressing issues. But, the above are the 32 bit versions that I use and work fine with Win 2K.

Don't know if this will help anybody or not.
    Last edited by bpalone; August 29th, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just a side note here.

I do still use my Dymo printer with OOo, so I haven't abandoned using it in Linux. I may check out GLabel, seeing some of the comments here. Good to see that one has helped out some people. Which is good, as many have helped me out along the way too.
    Last edited by bpalone; August 29th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.

Beans

OK...
    Strangely enough. My Dymo LW 400 Turbo stopped working!
    Showed up in the print manager, showed as idle.
    Tried to print and got this error message: usr/lib/cups/backend/usbfailed

I deleted the dymo cups drivers folder. followed the installation instructions to install again from bpalone's first post. Worked fine until I shutdown and restarted. Then again, I see the printer,shows it as idle and when I try to print a test page, I get the same error and no print.
    This is maddening!!
    I'm using Mint9, which I believe is Ubuntu 8.10

Many thanks for any help from someone smarter than I!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Have you tried the solution below? I got that from another thread - I'm saving solutions like that in notes using Tomboy. Unfortunately, THIS time I didn't save the attribution - usually I am careful to give the provider credit!

Beans

Which solution do you refer to?
    I've tried all suggestions from the ubuntu forums for Dymo thus far.
    Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

THIS one (in this thread, a few items down)

Although Windows could SEE my Dymo printer, the Dymo software could not.

It turned out that my solution was the following:

Connecting to Linux printers from VBox Windows!!

Re: Sharing printers with Windows XP in VirtualBox
    You need to know the IP address of your Ubuntu machine. for instance, 192.168.0.2 You also need to know what your printer is called on your Ubuntu machine. Windows XP would then install the printer via XP Printer and Faxes setting. the printer would be installed as : http://192.168.0.2:631/printers/Canon-6300 for instance.

From the terminal find your IP. Type : ifconfig. Note the IP address.
    Use your browser with : http://localhost:631 to run CUPS, go to Printers and note the printer queue name.

From XP go to Start, Printers and Faxes, add new printer.
    Fill in details with port http://<your IP>:631/printers/<your printer>

Additional notes:

O.K. I think I've GOT it:

I had to set CUPS to allow printing from the Internet... don't know I LIKE that one, but...

For the HP printer, I needed the driver disk
    For the Dymo, USB-attached, nothing more was needed

Beans

That post didn't relate to me as I can't get it to print in linux. I don't use windoze anymore.

I keep getting usr/cups/backend/usb failed message.

Thanks,

Beans

While looking at etc/cups/ppd, I noticed that I had a ppd for DymoLabelwriter-400-turbo but then when I looked at hidden files I saw a dw400t.ppd which I had never seen. I deleted it and it appears, (he said cautiously), that my labelwriter now works.

I will update after a few re-starts etc...

Thanks for all the input and help.

Update: didn't work. Restarted and no-go.
    I've discovered a workaround that does work though.
    I need to do a "sudo modprobe usblp" and then the printer is discovered and works.
    Problem is: I need to do it each time I start my computer.
    Last edited by donlinux; September 2nd, 2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Solved

I don't find GNU/Linux section in the mentioned webpage:
    https://global.dymo.com/enUS/RNW/RNW...hp&p_faqid=101

The guide may be updated byt the link http://download.dymo.com/Download%20...s-1.2.0.tar.gz
    Narcis Garcia

Beans

Thanks for the great thread. I have read it a few times over the last months as I keep coming back to sorting out my labelwriter 400 turbo running on Ubuntu 10.04 and then giving up again (until my staff nag me enough so that I pay attention again!).

So, all is good (well, not all, you probably guessed that already!), installed, all seen, even prints labels (which is a hand feature in a label printer

...but.....left hand margin....ugh....label is a landscape 28mmx89mm (1 1/8" x 3 1/2"). Printing starts just off the left hand side of the label. The rest of the label looks fine.

I have to print labels from pdf (just because of an application we use that generates them). Choosing 'shrink to fit' and 'size to fit' etc is all to no avail.

It must be a ppd file thing, I am guessing.
    (oh, and I tried in CUPS setting the default to a custom paper size, but it does not 'hold' (save, or whatever the correct term should be for 'staying set').

I have taken a peek at the ppd file for the printer and am trying to understand it - with a view to tweaking it.

I have a feeling that this is the line that sets the 'margins' for the label
    *ImageableArea w79h252/30252 Address: "4.32 4.32 76.08 235.44"

...the important bit being between the ""s

But that is as far as I have got - I don't understand what each figure refers to - they are in 'points' (I get that bit) but I don't know what measurement each figure refers to, whether they have to add up to the dimensions of the label etc (the label dimension is 79x252 points).

My current questions, I think, are:

Can I tweak the ppd file (and if I can is it then live or do I need to do something else to get it read)?

If I can tweak the ppd file, then what settings should I try?

Is there another way of doing this? (the labels have to be printed from a pdf reader because that is how they are generated - so I can't change that part of the process).

Thanks for any advice

PS I run my whole office on Ubuntu - server, scanning large volumes and all usual office type applications - and why? Well, because it it better and easier. (apart from this one label printing issue that I am determined to get fixed......but I am no tech!)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast