Thread: Why does my keyboard freeze after upgrading to Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Why does my keyboard freeze after upgrading to Hardy

Dear sisters and brothers in Ubuntu,

We have an old s.c. grandchildrens' computer (Pentium III, 450 MHz; IBM keyboard, where the DIN connector connected to the computer via a DIN|PS/2 converter, double boot - Windows2000/Ubuntu 8.04.1 - wireless home net).

Ubuntu partition has functioned without problems, although slowly, until upgrading 7.10 to 8.04. The upgrading went through smoothly - until I tried to open the computer next time: I was not able to write the user login and password, in fact anything.

OK - a new attempt to install, this time from the scratch (except keeping the home partition). This time, as soon as I had chosen the keyboard and tried to check that I was able to write Finnish accented letters I found that I wasn't able to write anything.

The next attempt was to try Linux Mint 5, another Debian flavor, with the same unfortunate result.

Now I am in the situation that the keyboard is working with Knoppix (and Windows) only - but I hate KDE after getting accustomed with Gnome. I have been using different Linux flavours for more than 10 years in this computer, and this situation is very embarrasing, as whatever I try, I am not able to get to reconfigure xorg.config that I suspect being the culprit.

Has anyone encountered the same problem and found a solution? I would be most thankful for any hint.

Olli, the Greybeard

I checked yet the keyboard with Knoppix; no problem. It seemed that the "usual suspect", xorg.config, was not culprit; maybe by changing the [old but well-behaving] keyboard would help. I installed - once again - the newest version of Linux Mint. The keyboard worked all the time - until I defined the default language and rebooted. Fortunately the mouse was still working, so I was able to start in safe mode, ordered the next boot a normal one - and, lo and behold!, the keyboard hasn't made any trouble since then.
    Last edited by Olli; July 17th, 2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Problem solved - I hope so
    Olli, the Grey-bearded
    Registered Linux User 107120