Thread: External VGA not working on laptop

Beans

Question External VGA not working on laptop

Hi,
    I've recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop and everything works fine except for my VGA output for a 2nd monitor/projector. I have googled more information about how to get it to work, but am still unsure as to what I should do or get. I'm pretty new to Linux/Ubuntu so any detailed help is appreciated.

Here are the informations about my laptop:

• Toshiba Satellite U300
    • Model No: PSU30C-NS508C
    • Everything is up-to-date and installed through Synaptic/Update manager
    • I have tried both settings in the bios for the VGA output (Auto and On)

From reading other similar post, it seems like the following information would be needed in order to get help:

Xorg.conf file
    Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"ca"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    	Option		"CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    	Driver		"synaptics"
    	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
    	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
    	Option		"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
    	Option		"HorizEdgeScroll"	"0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection

Information when entering lspci

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection (rev 61)
    0a:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    0a:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    0a:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
    0a:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
    0a:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)

Beans

Re: External VGA not working on laptop

bump, been trying to fix this and still can't. I would really like to get it to work before my next semester.

Beans

bump, still got the problem =(

Beans

Still have the problem, thought I'd mention that the Resolution selection tool does detect both screens (when I plug my external monitor, the monitor is detected as an ACER monitor which is right). I just get no signal to it though.

Beans

In general, they don't work. That's just the way it is. You may find some help, but don't expect it.

Beans

Hello,

I am not sure what is causing your problem but wanted to suggest some ideas I have and a little of what I have learned getting an extended desktop working. Mostly just shots in the dark but one of them might work:

If you edit your xorg.conf file and make a mistake in it, you get an option to reconfigure your video driver. There are at least two Intel drivers listed, if you haven't yet, I would recommend trying both to see if either one gives you a better result than nothing.

Try booting with the laptop closed and the monitor plugged it.

See if you get any kind of display on the monitor when in low graphics mode (after an error in the xorg.conf file).

Whenever you try something new, hit "FN-CRT/LCD" (or whatever your laptop has that does the same function).

If you want an extended desktop, you may need to do something similar to the following:

Go to a Terminal and enter:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Scroll down to Section "Screen" and add a Display subsection so you get something like the following:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 2560 1024
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

The numbers after Virtual should represent how many pixels wide and tall you want your two monitors combined. After saving this change, I was able to use the Screen Resolution utility to extend my desktop after a reboot.

I hope this advice isn't too simple, I just have been frustrated in the past trying to find a HowTo for things that had very simple solutions (if you knew them).

Beans

Hello fsgpr,

Thanks for your suggestions, I had already done most of what you've done except breaking Xorg.conf on purpose. I've tried it with no luck. I haven't ever had a signal output (tried on both an LCD TV with vga in and also a regular 17" computer monitor). They're detected by the display manager (There brand and size is detected) but never get anything to display.

Anyways, I plan to buy a new laptop around christmas or next summer so hopefully that one will work with external monitor on Ubuntu, if anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to get it solved without having to buy a new laptop =)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoisCN View Post
    Hello fsgpr,

Thanks for your suggestions, I had already done most of what you've done except breaking Xorg.conf on purpose. I've tried it with no luck. I haven't ever had a signal output (tried on both an LCD TV with vga in and also a regular 17" computer monitor). They're detected by the display manager (There brand and size is detected) but never get anything to display.

Anyways, I plan to buy a new laptop around christmas or next summer so hopefully that one will work with external monitor on Ubuntu, if anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to get it solved without having to buy a new laptop =)
    Use XandR. You will find complete guide here:
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
    Sony VAIO SZ4 - Limited edition

MS DOS since 5.0, Windows since 3.11, Linux since kernel 2.6, OS-X since 10.4,
    and, last but not least, MS Minesweeper since 1.0