Thread: How good is fedora's hardware support?

Beans

How good is fedora's hardware support?

Is it better than ubuntu's? A few things don't work in ubuntu or openSUSE and it really ticks me off.
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.
    Yup, that's pretty much how this place works

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How good is fedora's hardware support?

It depends on your system. On my desktop (Lenovo J Series), Fedora runs beautifully. It's certainly quieter than with Ubuntu. Suspend/Hibernate/Resume actually works.
    However, if you install with the liveCD (as I did), you may have to go through the services and disable whatever you don't need, as unlike Ubuntu, Fedora has a lot of services connecting to the network. Once this is done though, you'll find RAM usage even less. Although maybe if you decide to install, go with the DVD installer.
    Just a warning: Currently there's a bug that came with a Udev update that does not let the CD-Rom eject properly, but this can be fixed by either downgrading the package or unmounting via the command line. It's a widely reported bug, and was much worse until it was semi-fixed.

Beans

I ahve seen many people say they just come from fedora or tried installing it and wasnt fully comaptible, then try ubuntu on the same setup and it runs. I dont think its as good from these observations no.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Redrazor39 View Post
    Is it better than ubuntu's? A few things don't work in ubuntu or openSUSE and it really ticks me off.
    It depends on your hardware. You'll just have to try it.

Beans

I'm going to try fedora 8 on a VM until Fedora 9 gets more stable. Will I be able to test my hardware well enough in VMware Player? I want to test if the Fn keys work, suspend/resume, fingerprint scanner, and webcam work.
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.

Beans

I'm going to try fedora 8 on a VM until Fedora 9 gets more stable. Will I be able to test my hardware well enough in VMware Player? I want to test if the Fn keys work, suspend/resume, fingerprint scanner, and webcam work.
    Not really.
    A better test would be to just use the LiveCD's. But, also bear in mind that the LiveCD's don't include the many Fedora8 updates that made it more stable and ironed out hardware issues.

Fedora 9 is pretty darn good now by the way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Not really.
    A better test would be to just use the LiveCD's. But, also bear in mind that the LiveCD's don't include the many Fedora8 updates that made it more stable and ironed out hardware issues.

Fedora 9 is pretty darn good now by the way.
    Maybe GNOME, but not the KDE version, and I want a good KDE distro that works on my hardware (been searching and Fedora seems to be my best bet now)

I was thinking of installing Fedora 8 in a VM, learning the OS, and if I like it, installing it. Then, I'll just upgrade to F10 once it has KDE 4.1 or 4.2.
    but then I get again.

Beans

Maybe GNOME, but not the KDE version, and I want a good KDE distro that works on my hardware (been searching and Fedora seems to be my best bet now)
    Yeah, the KDE4 version is not that great yet IMO.

I was thinking of installing Fedora 8 in a VM, learning the OS, and if I like it, installing it. Then, I'll just upgrade to F10 once it has KDE 4.1 or 4.2.
    Sounds like a safe option.