Thread: Ubuntu Desktop & CLI at boot

Los Angeles

Ubuntu Desktop & CLI at boot

I have installed a server install from the server install CD.

Then I installed ubuntu-desktop. [PLEASE - I have read many of the threads where those who would install a GUI on their servers are considered untouchable Philistines (to mix metaphors) and deserve to be summarily executed. A repetition of those sentiments here will not be useful.]

What I would like to do is to set up a menu choice that upon booting up, I can have the choice to a)boot into a CLI, or b)boot into the desktop. I remember a few years ago when I built a Gentoo box we had such a menu. [And YES, I even did a stage 1 install.] But I cannot find in Ubuntu a way to do the same.

Can someone please point me to a way to do this? [Design the menu choice, that is. I have NO DESIRE to do a stage 1 optimization of the Ubuntu kernel.]

[I think the menu would be done through the /boot/grub/menu.lst by commenting out the "quiet" command, lengthening the wait interval, and adding the start command for /bin/bash, but I could be wrong]

Thanks for your help
    Los Angeles,CA

Al Ain

Re: Ubuntu Desktop & CLI at boot

Yes, you need to add a Grub menu entry to run in either level 3 or level 5.

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Yes, you need to add a Grub menu entry to run in either level 3 or level 5.
    Ubuntu will boot up to a GUI for runlevels 2-5 by default. You can stop it from loading a GUI on runlevel 2
    sudo rm /etc/rc2.d/*gdm
    then change your grub configuration to boot to different run levels. 2 for CLI; 3, 4, or 5 for GUI.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes, you have all the tools you need at your fingertips. You can configure runlevel 3 to be just non-GUI, and 5 to be GUI (or however you want it) and then just type your option at the boot prompt.

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"