137 58.80%
  • It's the entire OS, GNU/Linux is just RMS talking

25 10.73%
  • Other?

11 4.72%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the name is Linux?

Beans

Do you think the name is Linux, and what do you think Linux is?

Hello, so in a recent thread, which talks about the GPL, got a wee bit off topic, and started talking about what we should call linux, and what linux is. I've seen some people say that linux is just a kernel, and if you are talking about the entire OS, you should call it, GNU/Linux.

I went along with this, until I got a copy of Revolution OS from the library (do not watch it on google video, because it IS released under an all rights reserved copyright). Linus was saying that he made the kernal, and found packages to make it an entire OS, which he called Linux. It turned out later that the packages he found was that of GNU. And, by coincidence, he had reconstructed the GNU system, while putting his kernal inside. RMS said that because he had rebuilt the GNU system, with a 'slight' modification, we should call it GNU/Linux. Linus combats this by saying that whenever someone creates their own distro, they can call it whatever they want. For example, we don't call our beloved distro GNU/Ubuntu/Linux. We simply call it Ubuntu. Some people call it Ubuntu Linux, but that's not it's official name. It ubuntu, with the slogan of Linux for human beings.

Following this logic, I now call the entire OS Linux, and the kernel, the Linux Kernel. If RMS doesn't like it, he can change the GPL again, to prevent that. Even though his licence currently promotes changing names.

So, what do you think?
    Last edited by TBOL3; July 16th, 2008 at 03:14 PM.
    TWIBS: This Week in BS:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TWIBS

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Do you think the name is Linux, and what do you think Linux is?

I voted "Other". To me, Linux is just the kernel, but I call the entire OS Linux unless I need to be specific/formal, in which case call it GNU/Linux.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Do you think the name is Linux?

When I say to people that I do not use Windows they invariably ask what do you use instead?

I always answer Linux.

If RMS ever asked me in person he would get the same answer, if he then started ranting about all the stuff that he likes to rant about, I would simply turn and walk away. Life's too short.

Beans

It is not that simple since the kernel is compiled using the GNU toolchain.

And most of your applications on a Linux system are also compiled with gcc/g++.

GNU needs Linux, but this is also true the other way round.
    Last edited by Seren; July 16th, 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

For general description I just say Linux because most of the time the people I talk to have no idea even what Linux is let alone a kernel to the OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Depends on context.

Generally I say "Linux" to mean Linux distributions in general.

As for GNU/Linux, the only people who care about that are GNU zealots. Everyone who uses Linux sees GNU utilities everywhere, so it's not like GNU isn't getting due applause. But if it weren't for Linus and his work on Linux, GNU tools would probably still be confined to the obscurity of college computer labs.

RMS needs to learn to give other people in FOSS some well-deserved pats on the back, instead of trying to blow his own trumpet all the time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    It is not that simple since the kernel is compiled using the GNU toolchain.

And most of your applications on a Linux system are also compiled with gcc/g++.

GNU needs Linux, but this is also true the other way round.
    When GM uses Toyota parts in their cars they don't call them Toyota/GM. When HP uses an ATI graphics card they don't call it an ATI/HP computer.

Honestly, it's a stupid argument that should have died along time ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    When I say to people that I do not use Windows they invariably ask what do you use instead?

I always answer Linux.

If RMS ever asked me in person he would get the same answer, if he then started ranting about all the stuff that he likes to rant about, I would simply turn and walk away. Life's too short.
    Exactly

Beans

There are too many OSes out there to be calling them GNU/Something at this point. Anything else can confuse people on the outside.

Plus, I still have no idea what the "right way" to say "GNU" is...

Beans

It's gu-new, except you say fast, especially the gu part. (Oh and the u in gu is pronounced like the you in up).

Ya, I used to agree with most of you, that the kernel is linux, and the entire OS is gnu/linux, but I would still call it linux. Until I compared it to ubuntu, after watching Revolution OS.
    TWIBS: This Week in BS:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TWIBS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast