Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Ericsson C902 mounting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sony Ericsson C902 mounting

I have a SE C902 phone with a 4GB card and am having trouble creating a usb link for file transfer in Hardy. While under certain modes from the phone menu (Phone Mode, Media Transfer) a Camera Import dialogue box appears on my computer desktop, that's about as far as I can get. I had assumed that I'd just plug in and be able to access the phone/card as an external drive. Advice on mounting or whatever else I ought to do, please?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Sony Ericsson C902 mounting

Not sure how much help this is going to be, but:

I don't have exactly the same as you, but i do have a k770i. If i want to access the memory card in it, i plug the cable in, select "File Transfer Mode" and then wait for the phone to reboot into that mode. Then the memory card becomes automatically mounted (called "PHONE CARD" in my system). You should see a little icon on the desktop or in nautilus.

I've just checked though, and the phone's memory itself doesn't appear to be mounted - i can't see it anywhere at least.

If you want to sync contacts, calls and messages etc, then the program i use in ubuntu is called "wammu" (search for it in synaptic). It seems to have pretty limited functionality with my phone, and i suspect that will unfortunately be the case with yours. I still use MyPhoneExplorer in windows to sync important stuff - it's that and gaming that are keeping me attached. If you're feeling adventurous, you could try getting MPE to work under WINE; I believe a few people have been successful in doing so.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

hi

have you tried the phone on a windows pc. . . ?

the phone you have is relatively new... could be faulty. . . ?

i'kk try to see if i can get someone with a c902 to check that it works with linux
    Gosh Darn Police Line You Better Not Cross!
    Is it the cop, or am I the one that's really dangerous?

upgrade to vista!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your problem sounds a little... problematic. I've had a couple of Sony Ericsson phones (a w300i and now a k800i) and they both mounted automatically for transfer of media (photos, music etc). I just plug in the USB cable, select File Transfer on the phone's screen, and the phone and phone card would mount automatically, little icons appearing on the desktop. So, I second what phil101 said: maybe your phone's faulty.

If you want to access other data, synch your calendar and suchlike, the app gnokii might be of use. It was originally designed with Nokia phones in mind, but later versions work with other makes. I haven't tried it myself with a Sony Ericsson, but I think it'll work. Gnokii is in the repos.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've a SE K810i. Plugging in I choose File Transfer and the phones internal and external cards appear on my desktop.

In the past I've used Gthumb to mount a motorola as it wouldn't show up automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can confirm that this phone (C902) does not work with Linux AT ALL. I've tried it on two different Linux PCs both running Hardy. On my laptop, the phone locked up hard at the "preparing for mass storage" screen. I had to rip out the battery to get it to restart. On my desktop, the phone just keeps crashing in an infinite loop.

Tried bluetooth with my laptop, this alternates between crashing the phone and causing a kernel panic on the laptop. BAD software SE!!!

A note: I tested the phone on a Vista PC and that works perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm feeling it too guys! Bluetooth crashes the phone and restarts itself, Mass File Storage produces a lock up. Looks like it's "back to Windows" to transfer all me photos... =(

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by webworldx View Post
    I'm feeling it too guys! Bluetooth crashes the phone and restarts itself, Mass File Storage produces a lock up. Looks like it's "back to Windows" to transfer all me photos... =(
    I managed to figure out how get photos off and music on... at least:

Connect the phone to the USB, and select media transfer mode. After a few seconds F-Spot will pop up a dialog asking if you want to import... voila, you can now import photos off the device.

To transfer music on to the phone, install a program called gnomad2 (search in Synaptic). You have to start gnomad first, then plug the phone in. When the F-spot dialog appears, don't do anything to it... just leave it there. In gnomad switch to the data transfer tab. You should now be able to transfer music onto the phone. Note it won't show you anything that's already on the phone.

There is another method I was looking into, called fuse-mtp which lets you mount the phone as a file system in media transfer mode. However it's very beta and I couldn't get it to stay mounted for long without a SEGFAULT.

Incidentally I couldn't get the phone to bond via bluetooth with a Windows PC either... seems like there might be a few bugs to sort out in the firmware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I can only get this phone to work in MTP mode. I cannot get Hardy to recognise the USB mass storage at all. Works fine in windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi I bought some days before a Sony Ericsson c702 and I am facing the exact same problems. I tried to use SonyEricsson's pc suite through a windows xp virtual machine, using Virtualbox but even there I have problems. It's working with bluetooth but with the usb cable it got connected only once. All the other times the PC suite can not detect the plugged in phone.
    Did anyone find any solution?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast